"Sunny Sawtell" Sawtell by unravelau

Sawtell Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 17 photos

Sunny Sawtell

Sawtell is a small yet popular seaside township situated close to Coffs Harbour on the North Eastern coast of NSW. It boasts of beautiful areas to fish, surf and sunbake either on the coast, rock pool (for a dip) and/or the river which joins the sea there but meanders around past the camping ground, tennis courts etc. Golf and Bowls are popular sports here and the R.S.L. and local pub provide heaps of entertainment in the evenings. There is a quaint old movie theatre that has been lovingly restored (plus organ) and features lots of Australian movies as well as American. The main street has a huge variety of dining (al fresco) restaurants which all seem to be very popular with tourists and locals alike.

Pool swim for children

There are a number of places for swimming and fishing at Sawtell. Here another little rocky area that provides a pool for children.

Another Sawtell Beach scene.

Let's have breakfast. A friend and I decided to 'do breakfast' at sunny sawtell yesterday. We tend to try to find a new spot for this feast on the first sunday of the month.......hence.............. Shimmers was our choice yesterday. It is situated around the middle of the group of cafes on the sidewalk and when we came to a vacant table, just sat down. I had bacon and eggs on turkish bread....no imagination I'm afraid while my companion settled on the banana bread. My goodness. No surprises with my dish but you should have seen the banana bread.....totally decadent. It consisted of a thickish slice of some bread, thoroughly drenched in some unnamed syrup and topped with a whole banana also syrup drenched. The side dishes were an overflowing dish of rasberries in their syrup and a full dish of whipped cream. Light work was made of both dishes and while I could never come at such a syrupy sweet brecky, my companion simply drooled over it. Ah well. Maybe you could try both if you come with a friend.

• Pros:Sawtell rarely changes, it retains it's small town character despite new areas surrounding it.
  • Cons:Gets really busy at holiday time.
  • In a nutshell:A little bit like walking back in time although everything needed is there.
  • Last visit to Sawtell: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2011

• Tattugran's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 9:47 PM

now that bought back memroies.we used to go there when I was a kid... oh too many years to remember now

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 2:56 AM

Mmm, I know someone who lives near there! I can also recommend the beach walk.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2005 at 1:03 AM

Thats a lovely place with a great beach, Carole ! Thanks for sharing !

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2005 at 10:54 PM

Feeling frail? Don't believe it for one minute... why you're stomping round the countryside taking great photos. Cheers, Ian

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2004 at 5:33 AM

Would love to see some more pix Carol. This was one of our favourite places to visit when I was young. Ann :o)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 2:58 AM

Sawtell appeals to me. Main photograph is fantastic. Thanks so much, Carole, for sharing these lovely, unexpected places. I appreciate it. Refreshing reading.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2003 at 2:53 AM

You saw it - i tell you it is great !!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2003 at 9:29 PM

If you don't make tips how can I rate you?

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2003 at 12:47 PM

Outstanding photos and comment. Txs

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2003 at 6:27 PM

Looks pretty nice!!

unravelau

“Look at it this way then.”

Badges & Stats in Sawtell

Have you been to Sawtell?

Latest Activity in Sawtell