"Like the Lady Said: Ithaca is Gorges" Top 5 Page for this destination Ithaca by TempNomad

Ithaca Travel Guide: 233 reviews and 303 photos

A place to sit and contemplate your existence

I went to school at Ithaca College and have spent several summers and many happy vacations there. It's my favorite (continental US) place on earth - so far - and it has so much to offer. Last year's visit (August 2002) was a disappointment for a few reasons which center around food. The Home Dairy on The Commons has closed down (their smiley face cookies had been a regular stop on my Ithaca tours) and Joe's Restaurant and its off-shoot Little Joe's have both gone out of business. Despite these depressing shockers, Ithaca did not disappoint my need for rejuvenation. Take a look at www.14850.com for some helpful area businesses and activities.

Blue skies comin' at me...

I know Ithaca is well known for its falls and gorges, but the town is also lovely. Stop to view the town from the Cornell bridges or from the glass elevator at the Holiday Inn. :)

Politics

While all sorts are represented in Ithaca, the city itself is decidely liberal. The surrounding area is more diverse in its politics. I noticed that ITHACA IS COLD and VAGINAS ARE GORGES and PINK Ithaca is Gorges t-shirts are all sprouting up. Can't say I'm impressed with any of them.

People love to use bumperstickers to display their thoughts...check out

to see some examples.

• Pros:Calm, natural beauty, wonderful places to stay, friendly people (usually!)
  • Cons:Too far from Brooklyn, CRAZY cold, loads of salt on the roads in winter
  • In a nutshell:You won't want to leave
  • Last visit to Ithaca: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2005

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Looking into staying in or near Ithaca next April. Already asked for reservations at the Log Country Inn your tip confirms initial thoughts, thanks

• Jun 14, 2006 at 12:35 AM

If you're planning on visiting the Ithaca area, please check out my site which specializes in travel to Ithaca, NY. http://www.flytoithaca.com

• Feb 4, 2006 at 11:56 AM

You may be pleased to know that Joe's Restaurant is re-opening. Rumors have it that Ms. Whoopi Goldberg is behind it.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2005 at 7:09 AM

On Memorial Day we were up at Watkins Glen, it's a beautiful area. I wish I had more time to explore Ithaca and the parks you mentioned.. A return trip is definately necessary. That inn looks great. Very nice page, Thanks!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 1:45 PM

I've always enjoyed reading things by Carl Sagan -- great idea to have a planet walk in his honor.

• Sep 18, 2005 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for the pic. Reminds me of Cape Town, Newlands Forest .There is also a huge mountain for you to climb here!

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 12:46 PM

The waterfalls look great - definitely an area worth exploring. Thanks for sharing.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2005 at 2:32 PM

an interesting page ! I like all of these various waterfalls !

• Jan 2, 2005 at 5:43 PM

Lucas is my favorite winery - both for the wines themselves and for the winery! Good tip.

• Fudge's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 10:59 PM

hey there Brooklyn person :) i would love to visit Ithaca one day. Sounds bloody gorges alright!:) Good tips! many thankz.

TempNomad

“Travel with open arms and minds; see more than the flock.”

Badges & Stats in Ithaca