"The Perfect Island" Mount Desert Island by TempNomad
Mount Desert Island Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 54 photos
This National Park has so many walking, hiking, boating, swimming, and historic options that you could just wander around for weeks and always try something new. Don't discount the smaller trails. Not only are they less crowded, but they sometimes have the most interesting nooks and crannies. One smaller trail that we really enjoyed was just past Bass Harbor. It's off of 102A, and it's on the western side of Ship Harbor. There is a small parking lot, and if you've passed Wonderland, you've gone just a little too far. It's an easy trail, but it skims the water, and there are several areas to discover. The children we saw on the trail were loving the water and pebbles. There is also a restroom in the parking lot.
This website is just really helpful for checking out Bar Harbor - http://acadiabarharbor.com/page3f.html
Besides stopping at Thurston's for some of their AMAZING corn and crab chowder, Bernard also has a new book store called Port Side. It has a Maine focus, and the children's book selection and Maine trivia and travel selections are fabulous.
Leaving from various places around the island, but centered in Bar Harbor, don't neglect the Island Explorer. There is even a special van for bikes. You can get to Sand Beach, Southwest Harbor, Jordan Pond, and campgrounds. There is even a shuttle that goes all the way to Trenton if you don't want to drive onto the island. The Acadia pass is required, even if you don't take your car. Well worth it at $20 a week! Lifetime senior discounts are available.
- Pros:Views, friendly people, huge variety of things to do on all budgets
- Cons:Mosquitoes - bring your spray! Eating can get expensive if you're not careful.
- In a nutshell:Visit often
The Ship Harbor trail is easy, pleasant, and it has great views. We didn't run into too many people, and it's more... more travel advice
Lots of exceptional and creative flavors. There are tons of places to go for ice cream right in Bar Harbor, but we chose... more travel advice
TempNomad's Related Pages
Mount Desert Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Perfect Island"
- "Bar Harbor - Mount Desert Island"
- "Mount Desert Island- You'll fall in love"
- "Mount Desert Island, Maine"
- "Mount Desert Island Magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Desert Island
- Hotels in Mount Desert Island
- Restaurants in Mount Desert Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Desert Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Desert Island
- 18 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Mount Desert Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Desert Island
- Wrote a Review Baer Property Rentals in Mount Desert Island Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of johncudw's Mount Desert Island travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: News Quiz"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a walk by the water"
- updated a Mount Desert Island Travel Page "The Perfect Island"
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 52 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 26 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ithaca Intro, 30 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 24 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mount Desert Island Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maine Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue