"Mons, a medieval town with strong traditions!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mons by ptitetoile
Mons Travel Guide: 242 reviews and 523 photos
Mons is my birth town and the place where my family lives. It is a small middel-age town, where it is nice to live. You can thrust me... I spend there 22 years of my life :-)).
At the time of the Romans, Mons was already a inhabited region : the hill called Castri Locus Montensis was an ideal strategic place for the Romans who build a garrison. Later, they called this hill Montes (it means mountain in latin).
But the real foundation of the town dates back from a little bit later : in 612, Waudru (who decided to dedicate herself to God after a marriage with Madelgaire - called later St Vincent - and the education of her 4 children) built a monastery for women on this hill. After her death, she was considered as the protector of the town and her relic has been conserved and venerated in a shrine above the altar of the Church that took her name : St Waudru.
Mons has a very big student population from all corners of Belgium thanks to the differents universities and schools. During the year, the nightlife is mostly "rhythmed" by the student "evenings" and/or the numerous bars situated in the center of the town.
The inhabitants of Mons are very friendly : they like to have a quiet, simple and nice life : they like to eat, drink, have fun with friends and most of them have that special self-humor that is so characteristic of the Belgian people :-)
The town is dynamic but also quiet and you can enjoy the great stressless atmosphere of the town...in the small streets, in the parcs, at the terrace of a cafe of the grand place...
Like a lot of people born in Mons, I have strong attaches with the tradition of Mons that has its climax on the weekend of the Trinity (one week after Whit Sunday, mostly in June) during the "ducasse" which includes parties in the streets with bars, concerts, religious ceremonies, procession and a legendary fight between st Georges and the dragon : the "doudou".
For more info about it, see my travelogue "Mons, town of the doudou". And who knows... maybe you won' t resist to see the Doudou for real THIS YEAR (SUNDAY 3d June)! All "Chambourlettes" (guests invited by people from Mons for the Doudou) are always welcome !!!!
All the actors go in the circle, the arena covered by yellow sand. And then begins the fight. St Georges on his horse... more travel advice
To go to the Grand Place where the fight will take place, all the actors of the Doudou takes the street called "Rue Des... more travel advice
- See All Catching horse hair from the dragon...
- See All The top of the culinary art
- See All Free busses inside the town!!!!
ptitetoile's Related Pages
Mons Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enjoy to stroll around"
- "Mons and the Doudou"
- "Mons, a medieval town with strong traditions!"
- "A Microcosm Of Larger European Cities"
- "MON'S - WELL WORTH A STOP!"
- "MONS (Bergen in Dutch)"
- "Mons, the heart of my student life ;-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mons
- Hotels in Mons
- Transportation in Mons
- Nightlife in Mons
- Restaurants in Mons
- Shopping in Mons
- Warnings and Dangers in Mons
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mons
- 24 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Mons?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mons
- updated a Mons Travel Page "Mons, a medieval town with strong traditions!"
- Posted in Travel Brussels Forum "Doudou"
- Commented on one of Muya's Mons travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Doudou VT & Co meeting (seen by a drunk camera :-)"
- Wrote a Review Ducasse - the fight called Lumecon in Mons Things to Do
Photos in MonsSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 43 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Humahuaca Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salta Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues