"Jewel of the Spanish Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Sitges by ptitetoile

Sitges Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 336 photos

Sitges is a lovely coastal town 35 Km South of Barcelona. It is of course known for its warm temperature, beach, its night life and its gay life.
But it is not only that : when I arrived, I could not believe my eyes! It is not a mass touristic destination with hugly giant hotels and do not offer only the basic sun-sea-beach activities. Sitges has a past and you can feel it everywhere! In the small streets, on the promenade with the old houses on the waterfront and the old neighborhood of the Maricel Palace.
For more than one century the town of Sitges has been a cultural meeting point. At the end of the 19th century the famous Catalan artist Santiago Rusinol settled in Sitges, in a house known as " El Cau Ferrat". Here he celebrated the famous "Modern Style Parties", that made Sitges worldwide famous among artistic circles. Sitges was thus a important place for the catalan "art nouveau" called Modernism.

Spanish tango capital

In fact, I went to Sitges for the most famous summer tango festival. It was the eleventh edition of the festival and I finally had the time to see it for real after having heard so much about it! This was the occasion to see again my international tango friends from Netherlands and Switzerland and to discover the pleasure to dance tango on the beach ! I really loved it!
Beside the official Milonga that took place from 11pm till 3am in the "Jardin de Retiro", a garden with a dance floor surrounded by buildings that was nice but a bit too crowded, informal milongas were organised on the beach (yes on the sand and in the water!!!!) from 7 to 9 pm and then another on the promenade from 3 to....6.. 10...12 am!!!!
Between a couple of dances, you can imagine how great it is to bath its foot in the water of the sea! My favourite tango day was the last one, on the promenade, when there were less people and I danced all night long till 6 am, time of the train I had to take to travel back to the airport!

Belgian Team

During the six days, I share an appartement with my four tango-friends Charles, Corine, Tommaso and Cindy...We were almost the only representatives of Belgium at the festival (I think there were two more dancers but travelling lonely) It was great to share this experience together !

• Last visit to Sitges: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2004

ptitetoile

“Our imagination is the limit”

Badges & Stats in Sitges