"Jewel of the Spanish Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Sitges by ptitetoile
Sitges Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 336 photos
Sitges is a lovely coastal town 35 Km South of Barcelona. It is of course known for its warm temperature, beach, its night life and its gay life.
But it is not only that : when I arrived, I could not believe my eyes! It is not a mass touristic destination with hugly giant hotels and do not offer only the basic sun-sea-beach activities. Sitges has a past and you can feel it everywhere! In the small streets, on the promenade with the old houses on the waterfront and the old neighborhood of the Maricel Palace.
For more than one century the town of Sitges has been a cultural meeting point. At the end of the 19th century the famous Catalan artist Santiago Rusinol settled in Sitges, in a house known as " El Cau Ferrat". Here he celebrated the famous "Modern Style Parties", that made Sitges worldwide famous among artistic circles. Sitges was thus a important place for the catalan "art nouveau" called Modernism.
In fact, I went to Sitges for the most famous summer tango festival. It was the eleventh edition of the festival and I finally had the time to see it for real after having heard so much about it! This was the occasion to see again my international tango friends from Netherlands and Switzerland and to discover the pleasure to dance tango on the beach ! I really loved it!
Beside the official Milonga that took place from 11pm till 3am in the "Jardin de Retiro", a garden with a dance floor surrounded by buildings that was nice but a bit too crowded, informal milongas were organised on the beach (yes on the sand and in the water!!!!) from 7 to 9 pm and then another on the promenade from 3 to....6.. 10...12 am!!!!
Between a couple of dances, you can imagine how great it is to bath its foot in the water of the sea! My favourite tango day was the last one, on the promenade, when there were less people and I danced all night long till 6 am, time of the train I had to take to travel back to the airport!
Sitges' landmark : the baroque church of "San Bartomeu i sta Tecla" ... You see it from all parts of the beach! If it... more travel advice
This is the house of the famous Catalan artist, Santiago Rusiñol, bought at the end of the 19th century when he was... more travel advice
Written Aug 30, 2004
Tango a la playa
Written Aug 24, 2004
Art Nouveau / Modernism in Sitges
ptitetoile's Related Pages
Sitges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "All year round in Sitges"
- "Jewel of the Spanish Coast"
- "off-season sleepy seaside town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sitges
- Hotels in Sitges
- Transportation in Sitges
- Nightlife in Sitges
- Restaurants in Sitges
- Shopping in Sitges
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sitges
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Sitges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sitges
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 43 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Humahuaca Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salta Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues