"Humahaca : my favourite Quechua town and region" Top 5 Page for this destination Humahuaca by ptitetoile
Humahuaca Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 150 photos
Humahuaca (3000 m.) is a very picturesque and traditional town from the XVI century, located in the Quebrada de Humahuaca, in the North of Salta, in the Northwest of Argentina. Until the XIX century it was one of the main commercial centres of the Alto Perú, the largest settlement between Jujuy and the Bolivian border.
Its narrow cobbled streets and low houses made of adobe that still keep their ancient shape give to the village a really charming atmosphere...
I felt there in another time...in fact, it is like it has always been...an indian town with all its characteristics...The empty paved streets (cars are also very rare) give a wonderful perspective...and the Quechua population in traditionnal clothes makes it even more authentic.
Humahuaca (that takes its name from an ancien tribe) is also the name of the region and the canyon (Quebrada) that was created by the river Rio Grande.
The Quebrada is a protected heritage of the humanity for its civilization and villages but also for its colorful mountains (The valley of the painter). From Jujuy to Humahuaca, the road n°9 crosses incredibly nice landscapes and mountains...
I recommand the ride!!!!! The greatest places of the Quebrada de Humahuaca are Purmamarca, Tilcara, Uquia, Maimará and Humahuaca itself!
Uquia is a very small village (one street and some houses) with a wonderful little church known for its paintings from... more travel advice
The Argentinians are really romantic and endlessly in love...everywhere, you can see couples, especially young people... more travel advice
ptitetoile's Related Pages
Humahuaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Humahaca : my favourite Quechua town and region"
- "The place where God created colors"
- "Colors of Humahuaca"
- "Quebrada or not ? Quebrada ou pas ?"
- "Don't think so much, GO THERE!!!!"
- "Quebrada de Humahuaca"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Humahuaca
- 16 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Humahuaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Humahuaca
Photos in HumahuacaSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 43 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Humahuaca Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salta Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues