"Purmamarca : the village of the 7 colors mountain" Top 5 Page for this destination Purmamarca by ptitetoile
Purmamarca Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 95 photos
In Quechua language Purmamarca means "town of the lion" and in Aimara language means "town of virginal earth".
Pumamarca (2275 metres) is a very small village whose buildings were built in the XVII century; its urban layout was designed to surround the church, built in 1648. All the houses of the town have walls made of adobe and roofs are made of straw. Pre-Hispanic traditions prevailed, especially in celebrations.
But Purmamarca is most of all famous for its mountains which are one of the most wonderful marvels of the area : El Cerro de los Siete Colores ("Hill of the Seven Colours") that has sedimentary rocks of different colours : red, green, pink, yellow, white, grey and violet corresponding to iron, copper, dolomite, sulfur, lime, lead and haematite respectively. This hill/mountain is placed behind the village in the Canyon of Purmamarca, a canyon that meets the Canyon of Humahuaca (Quebrada de Humahuaca)
It is a magic place...The nature makes wonders...the colors are so strong...even my best photo cannot make you fell the beauty and the intensity of the different colors!!!!
The salt deposits come from the evaporation of an interior sea or lake, under the effect of the drought. The water lies... more travel advice
The road 52 in the Purmamarca valley is give you the opportunity to see all the wonderful colors of the valley that are... more travel advice
ptitetoile's Related Pages
Purmamarca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Purmamarca : the village of the 7 colors mountain"
- "Village of the many colors"
- "Purmamarca and the seven coloured mountain"
- "Peaceful and colorful Purmamarca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Purmamarca
- Hotels in Purmamarca
- Transportation in Purmamarca
- Nightlife in Purmamarca
- Restaurants in Purmamarca
- Shopping in Purmamarca
- Warnings and Dangers in Purmamarca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Purmamarca
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Purmamarca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Purmamarca
Photos in PurmamarcaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 43 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Humahuaca Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salta Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues