"Salta, la linda" Top 5 Page for this destination Salta by ptitetoile
Salta Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 378 photos
The city of Salta, capital of the province Salta situated in the North-West of Argentina (Noroeste), was founded on April 16th, 1582 by Hernando de Lerma, governor of Tucumán, on the orders of Perú placing it in a beautiful and fertile valley that has its name.
Known as ''Salta la linda'', it is one of the Argentine cities that has kept the colonial architectonic values. In its building aspect you can appreciate a mixture of colonial buildings with white walls, red tiled roofs, wells and a seigniorial style; with modern constructions, within an urban scheme that includes several green spaces like the San Martin Park.
Salta was the third destination in my travel in Argentina after Buenos Aires and Iguazu. We chosed this town for its beauty and famous reputation as colonial town.
It was not easy to give up the sun of Iguazu to land in a cloudy Salta but after some hours of walk in the town between the colorful colonial buildings, we found it fantastic!!!! The buildings of the center are really well preserved and high-lighted!!! We get a feeling of a rich and clean town in the streets till we discovered the magnificence of the Plaza 9 de Julio with the wedding-cake-like Cathedral!!! (At night, the lights are so well set that the Cathedral seemed (to me) to be a giant delicious wedding cake whith a lot of whipped cream!)
But I discovered also in Salta the simple beauty of the street scenes!!!! The population (with a larg part of Indian descendance) walking in the street is already a real pleasure to my northern eyes. I would have spent hours to watch them! Selling fruits on the streets, going back from school, shopping, riding bicycle,....
Salta is also great for itself but also for its location : Salta is situated in a valley (dominated by the Cerro Bernardo - 1466 m.a.s.l.) between two wonderful regions : the "Quebrada de Cafayete" and the "Quebrada de Humahuaca". this town is a great point of departure to discover these regions!!!!!
This convent is the oldest religious construction in Salta. At the beginning it was the Chapel of San Bernardo, then it... more travel advice
Do not hesitate to climb on the Cerro Bernardo...you will get a breathtaking view on Salta and its surroundings! You can... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Written May 9, 2016
Houses, cars and views of Salta
ptitetoile's Related Pages
Salta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salta, la linda"
- "First view of the Andes"
- "Salta La Linda"
- "Salta, Argentina: Inca Empire stopped here"
- "Salta, north-west Argentina"
- "Salta "La Linda""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salta
- Hotels in Salta
- Transportation in Salta
- Nightlife in Salta
- Restaurants in Salta
- Shopping in Salta
- Warnings and Dangers in Salta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salta
- 20 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Salta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salta
Photos in SaltaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 43 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Humahuaca Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salta Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues