"Tilcara" Tilcara by ptitetoile
Tilcara Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 74 photos
Tilcara (2461m) was founded in 1586 and bears the name of the tribe that settled there many years ago. The town is known for its handcrafts market (on plaza Prado), its cultural life with its various museums (archeological museum, museum of the sculptor Ernesto Soto Avendaño, art museum of the painter José Antonio Terry and the modern-art museum Irureta) and the ruins of the precolumbian fortification Pukara.
The Pucará de Tilcara (The Fortress of Tilcara) is testimony of an agricultural community that has the guts and the ability to defend themselves from the attack of the Incas and other tribes. Remainders of the past - pucarás, paintings- are scattered all around. It's important to visit the fortified town of Pucará and the Botanical Garden of Altura. It is also recommended to visit the ecological houses and the Graganta del Diablo (Throat of the Devil). This fortress was inhabited by Omahuacas, 900 years ago, but the Tilcara were the ones that built the pucará ("fortress") in an strategic area, 80 metres above Rio Grande.
I did not have the time to stay long in the town but I loved the dusty streets, the market where I bought all my "souvenirs" for my folks in Belgium and also this fantastic painting on the house!!!
ptitetoile's Related Pages
Tilcara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A beautiful village in the Quebrada de Humahuaca"
- "Tilcara, Along the Beautiful Quebrada de Humahuaca"
- "Pucara de Tilcara"
- "Tilcara - pure living!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tilcara
- Hotels in Tilcara
- Transportation in Tilcara
- Nightlife in Tilcara
- Restaurants in Tilcara
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tilcara
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Tilcara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tilcara
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 43 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Humahuaca Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salta Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues