"True Canadian Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park by epicult
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 392 photos
My tips for Algonquin focus on interior canoeing, portaging and camping. While quite strenuous physically, the rewards of your efforts are many. The tips comntained in these pages only scratch the surface of the knowledge I can share with you about this area. If you are planning a trip here from abroad (like many do every year) email me.Many have and... if the timing is right, I might even join you! I'm always looking for a good excuse to partake in the joys of a good trip. ;-o
Algonquin park is about three hours north of Toronto but feels a thousand miles away. There are many different ways to enjoy the park and take advantage of the almost 2000 lakes it has to offer. Below are a few of your choices:
Drive through (bound to see at least one moose);
Rent a provincially owned cabin for a few days for about 60.00 (40 USD) a night from the government;
Car Camp on one of many campgrounds OR;
My favorite - Throw your dog and pack into a canoe and disappear into the interior of the park for 4-5 days; choosing from almost 2000 designated camp sites. A trip deep into the interior requires portaging all of your supplies and canoe from lake-to-lake over varing types of terain. These portages range from a few hundred metres to 3+ Km's. Therefore, these trips are not for the physically or mentally 'unfit'. It's important to note that the further into the interior you go, the more wildlife and less people you will see so, it's worth busting your b*lls for. Trust me!
These trips can be tough but the feeling you get when you re-enter the modern world is hard to explain. Just wish I could feel like that everyday!
All visitors must pay a small fee to use the park if even for a half day. I believe it 's 9.00 a day. I can't give you pricing for any activities except for interior trekking as this is the only activity I choose to partake in. Any overnight stays in the park require reservations so book in advance. Don't take your chances. Again, my page covers mostly interior camping. VT member "sim1" has some very good information on lodgings and pricing.
Here is a good chart printed by Parks and Recreation that lists sites, fees and actvities:
Pricing Information (PDF)
As of Summer 2003, backcountry trips are priced as follows:
» 9.00 non-refundable reservation fee
» 6.00 for any changes to that reservation
» 9.00 per day
» All gear is extra
More general information regarding the park
You'll need to plan a route using this very detailed map of Algonquin Park (6 MB PDF File). I'll be posting a comprehensive packing list when I get some more time. If you have your own gear and rent a canoe you're looking at about $150 (100 USD) per person for a 4 day interior trip.
If you do not own your gear and need to rent it, you can do so at one of the park's outfitting companies. They rent or sell everything you can imagine that relates to camping in the park. Up-to-date pricing for renting canoes and other gear essentials are listed on The Portage Store site
Visit my transportation tip for outfitting yourself with the right canoe.
- Pros:Too many to list
- Cons:Many during the trip, none when completed!
- In a nutshell:Backcountry wilderness at its best!
One of the best things about being in the park is the fact that when you're in the middle of nowhere there are no phones... more travel advice
I liked the example (the title that VT uses as Title Example when building tips)... well it should actually read... more travel advice
epicult's Related Pages
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wow, Algonquin Provincial Park! So beautiful!"
- "An Algonquin Teamwork Blueprint"
- "Algonquin...A Paradise...for Moose"
- "True Canadian Adventure"
- "Away from the Freeway, and into Algonquin!"
- "Algonquin Provincial Park"
- "Algonquin park."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Hotels in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Transportation in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Nightlife in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Restaurants in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Shopping in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Algonquin Provincial Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Algonquin Provincial Park
- 19 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Algonquin Provincial Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Phu Quoc island"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Footwear for Success: Part II"
- updated a Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Page "True Canadian Adventure"
- Wrote a Review Stop and Relax! in Algonquin Provincial Park Favorites
- Commented on one of Chantelle_Bowman's Algonquin Provincial Park travel pages
Photos in Algonquin Provincial ParkSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Panama Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Titicaca Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos