"Diving and Caving in Belize" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize by epicult

Belize Travel Guide: 2,591 reviews and 5,512 photos

Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker is a fairly inexpensive (or at least, was) diving destination that is very laid-back and offers unreal diving and other water sports. If you are looking for good beaches, this is not your destination. Check out my Honduras page for the best in beaches - or - plan on making a trip to the neighboring Caye of Ambergris.

Golf carts and bikes are the prefered mode of transport here. No noise, pollution or need to stress about getting around. You can walk anywhere or hitch a ride on a golf cart.

From Caye Caulker you can snorkel with nurse sharks and rays in 'Shark Ray Alley' and also partake in some good, chilled nightlife.

Diving from Caye Caulker

While in CC, I dove with Frenchie's which was very good and have had friends dive there, since my trip. All reports have been excellent. Great thing is, the reef is just minutes off shore. Places like the Blue Hole and the Turneffe Islands are alternate (but very expensive) options.

If you're looking to get certified on your next trip, you might want to consider checking out Honduras. The diving is just as good but almost half the price! If interested, check out my Honduras page and my travelogue 'How to choose a good dive shop'

:-)

Caving in the Cayo District

Explore the caves of "Actun Tunichil Muknal" (Cave of the Stone Sepulchre) not far from San Ignacio. This is a 2-3 day (guided) trip where you camp in the jungle, explore recently discovered ruins (still covered in jungle), repell a rock face to view sacraficial pottery, explore caves and swim in cave filtered water while sweltering in 40 degree heat. Watch out for the assassin beetles!

Check out my 'Off The Beaten Path Tips' for more info.

• Pros:Great diving and jungle adventure
  • Cons:A little rich
  • In a nutshell:Recommended, if you like adventure-driven travel
  • Last visit to Belize: Apr 2001
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM

Thanks for your interesting and detailed story, Te! ><><

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2006 at 1:45 AM

Wow, you really enjoyed your time in Belize from the sound of things! That is quite a pile of adventures you racked up while there! Thanks for the excellent tips and pics. I'm happy to report, that most things you mention are still in good order!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2006 at 8:45 AM

sweet...mayan ruins with no tourists??? u think it's still the same now? i'll keep reading:)

• EliseB's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2006 at 10:43 AM

We did the ATM tour too, but we did the 7 hour version. Totally recommend it! Wonderful experience.

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 2:24 AM

Excellent page on Belize.. Makes me wanna explore its mayan ruins in near future.. Thanks for sharing!!!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 4:43 PM

Impressive adventure traveling you've done here, with an impressive list of dangers to go with it! I've visited some of the Mayan ruins, but haven't done any caving... yet.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 3:03 PM

Other pages I have seen on Belize have given me the impression that it is just a beach holiday. You look like you had a much more exciting time! I could do without all of those ticks and parasites though. Very nice page!

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 2:14 AM

Wow. Tarantulas, scorpions assassin beetles, remains from human sacrifice... dangerous beauty.

• smyturn's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2004 at 8:02 PM

Can't decide which page is my favorite...How do you make bugs, crabs, parasites and human remains sound so inviting?? Quite an art! Can I carry your bags on your next trip??

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2004 at 3:37 PM

Great Belize pages! It's helping me plan out my trip to Central America next year.

epicult