"Diving and Caving in Belize" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize by epicult
Belize Travel Guide: 2,610 reviews and 5,569 photos
Caye Caulker is a fairly inexpensive (or at least, was) diving destination that is very laid-back and offers unreal diving and other water sports. If you are looking for good beaches, this is not your destination. Check out my Honduras page for the best in beaches - or - plan on making a trip to the neighboring Caye of Ambergris.
Golf carts and bikes are the prefered mode of transport here. No noise, pollution or need to stress about getting around. You can walk anywhere or hitch a ride on a golf cart.
From Caye Caulker you can snorkel with nurse sharks and rays in 'Shark Ray Alley' and also partake in some good, chilled nightlife.
While in CC, I dove with Frenchie's which was very good and have had friends dive there, since my trip. All reports have been excellent. Great thing is, the reef is just minutes off shore. Places like the Blue Hole and the Turneffe Islands are alternate (but very expensive) options.
If you're looking to get certified on your next trip, you might want to consider checking out Honduras. The diving is just as good but almost half the price! If interested, check out my Honduras page and my travelogue 'How to choose a good dive shop'
Explore the caves of "Actun Tunichil Muknal" (Cave of the Stone Sepulchre) not far from San Ignacio. This is a 2-3 day (guided) trip where you camp in the jungle, explore recently discovered ruins (still covered in jungle), repell a rock face to view sacraficial pottery, explore caves and swim in cave filtered water while sweltering in 40 degree heat. Watch out for the assassin beetles!
Check out my 'Off The Beaten Path Tips' for more info.
- Pros:Great diving and jungle adventure
- Cons:A little rich
- In a nutshell:Recommended, if you like adventure-driven travel
Most pottery and skeletal remains in the cave are calcified right into the cave floor. These sacrifices were performed... more travel advice
Day II You'll probably start your day by exploring the ancient uncovered city. Saddly, it's been looted quite... more travel advice
- See All Trouble with Ticks
- Chicken buses, hitch hiking
- See All Parasites & Going Barefoot
- See All Tubing the Mopan river from Xunantinich
epicult's Related Pages
Belize Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ya Betta Belize It!"
- "Ambergris Caye"
- "Diving and Caving in Belize"
- "Trip to Belize 2002"
- "Scuba Diving and more"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belize
- Hotels in Belize
- Transportation in Belize
- Nightlife in Belize
- Restaurants in Belize
- Shopping in Belize
- Warnings and Dangers in Belize
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belize
- 21 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Belize?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belize
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Panama Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Titicaca Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos