"My favourite ways of travelling" tijs's Profile

Me

Hi, this is the VT-page of Tijs.

I am a slim blond Dutch man. Since I am divorced, four years ago, I am a co-parent so my daughter Eva lives with me for 50% of the time. Eva is now already 9 years old.

I like to be active in nature: jogging on the beach, cycling in the dunes, walking in the forest or sailing on lakes. To stay fit, I cycle a lot and go to the gym for fitness twice or 3 times a week and afterwards I often relax in the sauna. For relaxing, I like to listen to etnic, ambient or wolrd music. I usually cook fusion and multiculti food: arabic food is my favourite.

I am very interested in shamanism to make contact with nature and I take my dreams seriously. Another strange habit of me is that I like modern gadgets, like smartphones with palmcomputer in it.

House and work

I live in Scheveningen an old house, that is built in 1900. Our house is opposite the Museum Scheveningen and close to the beach and boulevard. The house is split in two appartments: the ground floor is owned by my neigbour, the two upper floors are mine. When I bought the house, it looked almost like a ruin. But each year I renovate a part of the house, so it gets more and more comfortable every year.

Since november 2000 I work for the environmental non-profit organisation 'Zuid-Hollandse Milieufederatie' in Rotterdam. Being part of the ecological movement, I don't have a car and I prefer to buy organic grown food. Every week I pick up a bag with fresh eco-veggies at the local grocery.

My boyfriend and social life

I am bi-sexual. For some time I have a boyfriend, his name is Jeroen. Jeroen is an architect, who designed his own house and he also lives in The Hague. We have a so-called LAT(living apart together)-relation.
I am active in organisation 'The Kringen' where I lead a group of bisexuals men and women to discuss all kinds of subjects and have fun together.

Train

My favourite way of traveling is by train. It's a relaxing way of starting your holidays, I can enjoy the landscape while you get closer to your destination. I usually meet people in the train to talk with. Especially the nighttrain is a great solution: you can leave from home in the evening and the next morning you wake up in another country.

Hiking

As soon as I arrive on my destination, I want to explore the surroundings. Not by car, but just by walking around, strolling through the narrow streets, seeing the backyards, walking in the park and hiking in the hills, along the river or the coast. I like to walk with my backpack with me.

Cycling

But the holidays with the most adventure and the best scenery are the cycling-holidays in summer. It is such a fantastic experience to see a country with your own bike. Climbing the hills makes me sweat and on top there is the present of the great view. While the landscape slides along, I can smell the nature, the cowshit on the land and the food that people are preparing. Asking the way usually leads to interesting talks with the locals and sometimes invitations to see their house or to drink something.

Busses and hitch-hiking

If there is no train and I did not take my bike, then it's time to take a local bus. The older, the better and the more colourson the outside of the bus, the more fun. And also the insee of the bus can be fun, with pictures out of sexy magazines. Locals take their bus to work or to the market. Everybody in the bus is bored with the trip but me. The bus takes its time to drive up the hill. And takes many risks at every corner driving down the hill. The only thing to do is trust the driver's experience. And if there is no bus, there is always the opportunity to hitch-hike.

Camping and hospitality

If it's not too cold, I prefer to sleep in a tent. It's the best way to be totally away from home. Cooking on a little stove, making a campfire, what more do I need? I go to bed when it gets dark, you see all the stars, sleep on a hard ground. I wake up by the birds and the cows. The best place for me to put my tent is on farms, in the wilderness or near a lake.

But there is no better way to get to know a country then by staying at somebody's home. That's why I like to search for little private pensions. And invite people at my home.
Check out this great website if you like to be a host or a guest:
Hospitalityclub

• Intro Updated Nov 21, 2004

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!