"White Day" Venice by martinelli

Venice Travel Guide: 8,206 reviews and 21,714 photos

(that is my travel journal's page drawing about the white day)

I stayed in Venice for five days just because I couldn't make up my mind which would be my next stop. I met all the touristic spots in the first 2 days and the rest was dedicated to random wandering in the city. I may say I've walked along at least 70% of the streets of Venice.

The most beautiful places were the Santa Maria della Salute Church, the view of the main island from the Giudecca and the "ordinary", "non-touristic" streets. I have seen cats sitting in sofas in the middle of the street, all sorts and colours of clothes hanging in fotosynthesis under the sun. I have also seen the frenetic movement of a town that sometimes seems to have lost its soul and sold itself all out to tourism.

One of those days, though, I was sitting, having a smoke, in front of the Hostel in Giudecca, 8 am, the day was starting and the sky was all clouds, and Venice was under a sheet of fog and the silence was almost disturbing. That's what we call a white day, in Brazil, that day that could be just anything.

I made a drawing of this moment that was, probably, the most beautiful one Venice provided me. The streets were empty of the tourists, all grumpy because of the bad weather, and I was hopping and laughing because I was seing then something of genuine in the San Marco square, not only the cliche touristic behaviour we all know well.

<center><b>::: White Day :::</b> song by Geraldo Azevêdo</center>

If the sun should come
today, or the rain

If the rain should fall
and if you should come
til the point we should reach
In a little square, by the beach,
On the corner of no place at all

And in this white day
If white it should be
Should be great, should be much, should be such
what an enormous love

If you would come, if you'd like
For come what might
with me

• Last visit to Venice: Oct 1998
  • Intro Written Apr 27, 2002

martinelli

“HATE ME OR RATE ME ... ;)”

Badges & Stats in Venice