"Salvador" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia by martinelli
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 637 reviews and 1,347 photos
The phrase above is by Dorival Caymmi, one of the most important composers in Brazil, a devoted lover of the beauties of Bahia and Salvador.
Although it may be a polomical topic whether or not Salvador is the most beautiful city in Brazil, its delicious ambience and friendly people will surely make you fall in love with it. The city has the shape of a triangle and two of its sides are bathed by the sea. It is one of the only 6 continental places in the whole world where you can see the sun rise and set from the ocean...
Salvador was the first capital of Brazil, and the traces of its importance are visible in the old town centre. Do not stick only to the touristical spots, though. The best of town is in its daily life - walking on the beach, eating one of the dishes of its exquisit cuisine in a small store by the ocean, watching the sunset from the modern art museum, attending a roda de capoeira away from the set up programs of tourist guides.
Salvador has many nicknames. One of them is Roma Negra ("Black Rome"). Craddle and home of african descendent traditions (including samba, capoeira and candomble), the state of Bahia has percentually more black people than all the african countries except for Nigeria.
In Bahian culture, the holy and the prophane live together, side by side. To syn is to pray and vice-versa. But if you are looking for sexual tourism, drag your butt out of my city and get yourself some professional help. Come as a friend and you will get the best treatment.
Do not mistake sensuality for cheapness and welcoming spirit for servitude. If you do, then you're just going to throw your money through the window...
- Pros:... the city embraces you ...
- Cons:... and doesn't let go! ;)
- In a nutshell:come at your own risk
Dam built by the dutch (NATURALLY!) a long time ago and recently reformed, Dique do Tororo is simply dazzling. In its... more travel advice
Porto da Barra Things to Do (23)
BEACHES - I Porto da Barra Perfect for families of for those who love swimming of for those who like to see the... more travel advice
- See All Excellent cuisine and atmosphere
- Candomble is a religion. You...
- See All Gloss
- See All Ferry Boat
- Most bahian (salty) dishes are...
martinelli's Related Pages
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Salvador - Africa in Brazil"
- "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- "Salvador de Bahia: african roots are here"
- "Salvador Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador da Bahia
- Hotels in Salvador da Bahia
- Transportation in Salvador da Bahia
- Nightlife in Salvador da Bahia
- Restaurants in Salvador da Bahia
- Shopping in Salvador da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador da Bahia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia
- 64 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia
Photos in Salvador da BahiaSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Brazil Intro, 29 reviews, 235 photos, 28 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 64 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 43 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- São Paulo Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Norway Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brasília Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Italy Intro, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ålesund Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgium Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue