Egypt Transportation Tips by MalenaN Top 5 Page for this destination

Egypt Transportation: 358 reviews and 302 photos

View from Tombs of the Nobles in Aswan - Egypt

View from Tombs of the Nobles in Aswan

From Hurghada to Aswan

My travel companion and I went straight from the ferry to the bus station in Hurghada to buy tickets for the night bus to Aswan. We were told we could buy the tickets on board when the bus arrived. But it was a Thursday night and the bus was already full when it arrived at the bus station. A lot of people tried to get on and my friend kindly asked the bus driver to let us on board. He said yes and I quickly got the bags in the luggage compartment before anyone changed their mind. We were not the only passengers who were without seats and we had a journey of nine hours ahead of us. In the back there were mostly women sitting so we sat on the floor there. Later, when the light was turned off we tried to sleep on the very dirty floor. We were not the only persons trying to sleep on the floor, but I guess it was not often tourists were seen doing that. On the way we stopped two times for tea and once when the bus broke down. Not until it was a couple of hours left I got a seat.

It was a very uncomfortable trip, but a very memorable one and for that I enjoyed it.

The ticket was 45 pounds.

Type: Bus

• Written Oct 11, 2005
The step pyramid in Saqqara - Egypt

The step pyramid in Saqqara

To Dahshur, Memphis, Saqqara and Giza in a day

I decided not to use public transportation to see the different pyramids outside Cairo (Dahshur is not easy to reach by public transport), but to pay for a car with driver. I asked at the travel agent, which is open a few hours a day at Garden City House Hotel. There was no one to chare the price with so finally I went alone. For the transport to Dahshur, Memphis, Saqqara and the pyramids at Giza I paid 150 pounds. All sights are close to Cairo and with a car they can easily be seen in a day.

• Written Sep 30, 2005
Suddenly we were one more veicle in the convoy - Egypt

Suddenly we were one more veicle in the convoy

From Aswan to Luxor

It was really complicated to travel from Aswan to Luxor. In the morning we took a taxi (5 pounds) to the bus station. There they said the bus was not going until 3.30 pm (Lonely Planet had said there was one every hour). It was too many hours to wait and we asked for the minibuses. There were minibuses going, but they were not allowed to take foreigners and no one wanted to risk getting in trouble with the police. At the bus station they said we could take a train so we took a bus back to town (50 piasters) and went to the train station. After a long time in queue we were told they could not sell us the tickets, but we could buy them on board. To be sure we asked the man checking the tickets at the entrance to the platform and he said he would not let us pass without a ticket. That train was not for foreigners, who are only allowed to travel with three trains a day.
Finally we had to go with the convoy at 2 pm. A taxi driver agreed to take us for 150 pounds, but as we waited another taxi came and an English man and his son in that taxi said we could go with them. We paid our taxi driver some money before he left. In the convoy there was our car and a tourist bus. In the front there was a police car and in the back there was another. During part of the journey we lost sight of the police car, but closer to Luxor they put the sirens on. This way of travelling does not feel safer. It is really a way of telling, “Here the tourists come”. Isn’t it much safer to travel among many locals on the minibus we were not allowed to take?

• Written Sep 30, 2005
Temple of Hator in Abu Simbel - Egypt

Temple of Hator in Abu Simbel

Aswan to Abu Simbel

You can fly to Abu Simbel from Aswan or you can take a public bus from the bus station. But a convenient, and not too expensive way is to take a tour and go with the convoy at 4 o’clock in the morning (at least it left so early in the morning in July when I went). I paid 55 pounds for the tour (only transport) to Abu Simbel, the High Dam, Philae and the Unfinished Obelisk. In the minibus we were two people who paid 55 pounds, two other who paid 70 pounds and a Japanese woman who paid 110 pounds for the same trip. At the tourist office they had told me the price should be 45 pounds, but when they said 55 pounds at my hotel I thought it was okay.
The minibus picked up passengers at their hotel (me at 3.30 am) and then went with the convoy. It took three hours to go to Abu Simbel. We reached Abu Simbel around 7 am and got two hours to see the site before the convoy was leaving again.

• Written Sep 22, 2005
Tea stop on the way between Siwa and Marsa Matruh - Egypt

Tea stop on the way between Siwa and Marsa Matruh

Bus between Alexandria and Siwa

Buses from Alexandria to Siwa leave from the bus station close to Sidi Gaber. But you can buy tickets from the office downtown (in the south western corner of Midan Saad Zaghloul) and it is good to do so at least a day before. A ticket is 27 pounds (August 2005) and the bus journey takes about 9 hours. There are a few buses going every day. Along the way the bus stops three times. First at a cafeteria, then in Marsa Matruh where it stays a bit longer, and finally at another cafeteria (close to where the road takes off to Qara Oasis).

Going back from Siwa to Alexandria (there are no direct buses to Cairo) it was not possible to buy the ticket until the evening before, after 8 pm. If you are going to go to Cairo it could be quicker to change buses in Marsa Matruh rather than in Alexandria (as those direct buses take the desert road to Cairo and not the agricultural road). But be sure first there are seats available on the buses as many people from Cairo go to Marsa Matruh for holiday. The bus I travelled with left Siwa at 7 in the morning. To change to a train for Cairo in Alexandria was quick and before it got dark I had found a hotel room (after trying two other hotels first). From Siwa there is also a night bus to Alexandria.

Type: Bus

• Written Sep 21, 2005
The train at Ramses Station in Cairo - Egypt

The train at Ramses Station in Cairo

Train between Cairo and Alexandria

Cairo - Alexandria
Arriving to Cairo in the morning with the night train from Luxor I and Rebecka from England, who travelled the same way as me, did not stay but went on to Alexandria. The 1st class tickets for Alexandria were finished so we got seats in 2nd class and the train was leaving in about an hour. The ticket was 16 pounds. In 2nd class the seats are made of a plastic material and they can be turned around to always face the direction of the train. A man walked through the train with a small carriage selling tea, coffee and snacks. I don’t remember the price of the tea but it was more expensive than in 3rd class. It takes about 3 hours to go from Cairo to Alexandria by train. In Alexandria the train first stops at Sidi Gaber Station were a lot of people will get off. We continued to the main station Masr station.

Alexandria - Cairo
We were five foreigners coming with the bus to Alexandria from Siwa and we were all going on to Cairo. Luckily the bus station is near to Sidi Gaber Station. Arriving to the station we asked a guard for the next train to Cairo and he said it was leaving next hour. But we guessed there was one going within a few minutes and hurried to the platform were we found a train to Cairo and jumped on. We came into 3rd class and were all lucky to get seats. The ticket could be bought on the train and was 10 pounds. The seats were not uncomfortable at all but better than 2nd class in my opinion (because the material they were not made of). Two men walked around selling tea, and it was cheaper than 2nd class. In Cairo the train stops at Ramses Station.

Type: Train

• Updated Sep 20, 2005
High Speed Ferry

There is a high-speed ferry a few times a week going from Sharm el Sheik to Hurghada. It is supposed to take 1,5 hour, but when I went with it took 3 hours. The sites on board are comfortable and there is a small snack bar selling coffee (6 pounds) and tea, coke, crisps and sandwiches. If you feel seasick you better sit in the middle in the middle. The ferry leaves Sharm at 6 pm. You will need your passport. A ticket was 250 pounds (July 2005).

• Written Sep 17, 2005
Along the road in Sina - Egypt

Along the road in Sina

From Taba to St Katherine's Monastery

When you have crossed the border at Taba you will be met by taxi drivers offering to take you to your destination in Sinai. But if you walk on, less than a km, you will come to the bus station and hopefully there will be a bus for you. If not you can always ask for a taxi here in peace and quiet.
I was going to St Katherine’s Monastery for which the only bus leaves at 7 o’clock in the morning. I arrived at 3 pm and had to take a taxi. I had heard stories (and have also read one here on VT) about taxi drivers stopping in the middle of nowhere refusing to go further with you in the car if you don’t pay more than you agreed of in the beginning. A taxi driver in a red minibus (if you are around Taba or Nuweiba and need a taxi his number is 0020127075078) offered to take me to St Katherine’s for 200 pounds and he seemed to be an honest man and the price correct. We stopped three times along the way, once for drinking tea and the other two times for me to take photos.
The drive took about 2,5 hours.

• Written Sep 17, 2005
To and from Dahab - Egypt
To and from Dahab

I came to Dahab from St Katherine’s Monastery. There is a bus from the nearby village leaving for Dahab at 1 o’clock. I wanted to leave earlier so I went down to the parking just after 9 o’clock, hoping I could go with one of the many tour buses and taxis waiting there (the monastery opens at nine and after visiting all people who came to climb Mt Sinai go back to their resort). I found a group of people going in a minibus to Dahab and their driver let me go with them for 30 pounds, which I accepted.

Leaving Dahab I shared a minibus with three other people. Someone else had already negotiated about the price and we paid 150 pounds for the car. You can get it cheaper (2005)!

• Updated Sep 17, 2005
Boat on the Nile - Egypt
Boat on the Nile

How wonderful would it not be to travell down on the Nile on a Felucca. Well, the only boattrip I have done on the Nile is to cross from the east bank in Luxor to the west bank.

Type: Ship/Boat