"Turkey - a travell from east to west" Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey by MalenaN

Turkey Travel Guide: 24,826 reviews and 71,541 photos

First trip

I spent 40 days travelling around Turkey during July and August 2003. It was a travell from the east to the west, not only geographicaly but also culturaly.

I visited: Trabzon, Erzurum, Dogubayazit, Van, Diyarbakir, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Nemrut Dagi, Göreme, Konya, Antalya, Kas, Pamukkale, Selcuk, Bergama and Istanbul.

My tips will come in the same order as I travelled. Meaning that tips from Trabzon and around comes first and tips from Istanbul comes last.

Second trip

Summer 2004 i went to Turkey again. The places I visited this time was:
Istanbul, Amasra, Safranbolu, Ankara, Hattusas, Amasya, Sivas, Divrigi, Erzurum, Kars, Ani, Dogubayazit, Van, Diyarbakir, Hasankeyf, Antakya, Silifke, Anamur, Antalya, Datca, Bodrum, Izmir, Behramkale (Assos), Bursa and finally Istanbul again.

Tips of places I visited during this trip (but not last time) I will put under general tips.

Turkish Lira

From the 1st January 2005 Turkey has got new banknotes without a lot of zeros.
1 000 000 TL = 1YTL
Y stands for yeni, which means new in Turkish.
There are also coins and 1 YTL = 100 Ykr

I visited Turkey in 2003 and 2004 and the currency used in my tips is therefore the old Turkish Lira. To compare with today’s currency you just have to delete six zeros.

• Last visit to Turkey: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2005

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Beautiful pages. We were there a long time ago...would love to return.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Mar 8, 2014 at 5:01 AM

I was there long ago too! It was in 2003 and 2004 that I traveled around Turkey, and I loved it! Thanks for visiting my page Anita!

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I became very hungry, I should take my diner! L.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM

You seem to have been everywhere in Turkey on your two long visits. The Museum of Underwater Archaeology sounds especially fascinating to me. I've just looked at your General Tips this time (those that have texts) and will return some other time for more.

• donya.amini's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I like your page, i like go to Turkey with my parents.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Great info, really enjoyed reading your tips in order to wet my appetite for my own tour starting in 10 days time ;-)

• saleemg's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Wow !!! Takes lots of guts to undertake such an adveturous jouney - solo. Thank you for the great info! Have been to Turkey (West and Cappadoccia region), but not a trip like yours. Congrats!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Im coming back to see your tantalising page here. I was there for the 7 churches of Revelation tour a few years back and a huge meeting at the ampitheatre in Ephesus but still so much more to see!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Wow, you certainly experienced a lot during your visits to Turkey! Excellent tips and photos. I love Turkish food -- so I am sure that I would enjoy a trip to Turkey.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

We would like to hire a yacht in Turkey,,,one day, to go out snorkelling..

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Great pages and photos on Turkey. I loved ur pages. best wishes from Istanbul. Bora

Badges & Stats in Turkey