Syria Favorite Tips by MalenaN Top 5 Page for this destination
Syria Favorites: 220 reviews and 202 photos
Favorite thing: Summer days can be very hot in Syria. How refreshing isn't it then to take a swim in the Mediterranean!
The only beach I visited in Syria is at Cote d'Azur de Cham. The entrance fee is 250 SP and you will then have access to the nice beach the whole day.
There are sun beds for everyone to use (but they all might be taken already when you arrive).
At Cote d'Azur de Cham there are jet skis and motorboats for hire, but you are only allowed to drive them outside the rope.
Swimming is safe inside the protected area.
This side of Syria I did not see last time I was here. It is so different from the more conservative areas.
Favorite thing: At many of the ancient sites and castles there has been a lot of reconstructionwork. For example on the tetrapylon (in Palmyra) to the left only one of the pillars are of the original granite, the rest are badly done in coloured concrete.
Well, there are both pros and cons with the reconstructions. And I must say that in this case I like seeing the big cornice up on the pillars as it once was rather than lying on the ground.
Favorite thing: To see Palmyra in the best light you should be there early, at sunrise. You will probably have the whole sight to yourself for a while and there will be time for you to explore the ruins before it becomes too hot at midday.
I went out to the sight at 5.30 but didn't go all way first as there were two barking dogs between me and the ruins. I waited a while until a few people came by on their way to work. I didn't see any dogs after that.
Favorite thing: On a hill above the ruins in Palmyra there is an Arab Castle. This is a nice place to go to for sunset. It is not difficult to climb the hill (but don't take the steepest path up or down). From top of the castle you will have a great view over the ruins, the town and oasis.
Admission to the castle is 150 SP.
Fondest memory: My best memory from Syria is absolutly whene I stayed with a family in the village Abtin, 50 km south of Aleppo.
I met the family and their friends outside the citadel in Aleppo. They found someone who could translate for them. One of them spoke a few worlds English and I speak very few words of Arabic. But they were all very nice and I went with them to their village to stay over the night.
In Abtin there are both muddhouses and stonehouses and cultivated fields around the village.
We ate a lot of delisious food and drank tea.
If you get an invitation and feel confortable accept the invitation. You will meet really nice people and it is defenitly the best way to see a country.
More Reviews (75)
- See All Seidnayya
- See All From Aleppo to Beirut
- See All Al - Gawaher, Aleppo
- See All Mari
- See All Camels
- See All Wanes, Aleppo
MalenaN's Related Pages
Syria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the first Civilizations"
- "Welcome to Syria"
- "26 December 2002 - 6 January 2003"
- "Syria through the eyes of an American"
- "Syria, History and Culture."
- "Off The Beaten Path"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Syria
- Hotels in Syria
- Transportation in Syria
- Nightlife in Syria
- Restaurants in Syria
- Shopping in Syria
- Warnings and Dangers in Syria
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malamala Island Hotels
- Nicolet Hotels
- Ngong Ping Hotels
- Greenbrier Hotels
- La Rioja
Badges & Stats in Syria
- 289 Reviews
- 581 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Syria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Syria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 122 reviews, 550 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 100 reviews, 486 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 20 reviews, 222 photos, 15 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (183)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Top Syria hotels
- Busra ash Sham Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 254 Photos
- Damascus Hotels
- 822 Reviews - 2215 Photos
- Palmyra Hotels
- 236 Reviews - 764 Photos
- Saydnaya Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Safita Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Marmarita Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- Kassab Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Jablah Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Idlib Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Hamah Hotels
- 131 Reviews - 421 Photos
- Aleppo Hotels
- 757 Reviews - 1848 Photos
- Baniyas Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 39 Photos
- Az Zabadani Hotels
- 1 Review
- Al Mayadin Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Latakia Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 180 Photos