"Climbing Cotopaxi - 5897 metres" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Cotopaxi by MalenaN
Provincia de Cotopaxi Travel Guide: 281 reviews and 1,596 photos
Volcán Cotopaxi is an impressive sight with its almost symmetrical cone and glacier covered top. With an altitude of 5897m it is the second highest mountain in Ecuador (only Chimborazo is higher). Volcán Cotopaxi is not the highest, but one of the highest active volcanoes in the world. Today you can only see some steam in the crater if you are standing on the top, but Cotopaxi has had some big eruptions. The most violent ones was in 1744, 1768 and 1870.
For me it was absolutely a highlight to climb to the top of Volcán Cotopaxi, and I would very much like to do it again. It is not a technical difficult climb, but it is very important to be well adapted to high altitude.
Cotopaxi National Park covers an area of 33 400 hectares. Besides climbing the volcano many visitors come here for hiking, camping and cycling. There are day tours organised from nearby cities like Quito and Latacunga and they usually take you Laguna Limpiopungo, to the refugio at 4800m, and maybe to the edge of the glacier.
I have visited several places in Provincia de Cotopaxi, but on this page I have only got tips about the visit to Volcán Cotopaxi. For the other places in Provincia de Cotopaxi that I have visited I have made separate pages:
Isinliví - 7 tip, 61 photos
Sigchos - 2 tips, 24 photos
Chugchilán - 7 tips, 101 photos
Quilotoa - 7 tips, 122 photos
Tigua - 6 tip, 73 photos
Zumbahua - 3 tips, 58 photos
Latacunga - 15 tips, 60 photos
The parking area is situated at an altitude of 4500m and the refugio at 4800m, so if you are not acclimatised to high... more travel advice
My guide Fausto had walked first during the ascent, but during the descent I was in the front. It was very easy to go... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Provincia de Cotopaxi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Courting Cotopaxi & The Lonely Bull"
- "Cotopaxi National Park"
- "Ain’t no mountain high enough ..."
- "Climbing Cotopaxi - 5897 metres"
- "The Paramo Is Vast"
- "Roaming around Cotopaxi National Park"
- "Parque Nacional Cotopaxi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Hotels in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Transportation in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Nightlife in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Restaurants in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Shopping in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- 81 Reviews
- 1,057 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Provincia de Cotopaxi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: problems logging in lately"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Provincia de Cotopaxi tips
- updated a Provincia de Cotopaxi Travel Page "Climbing Cotopaxi - 5897 metres"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Volcán Cotopaxi, 5897m"
- Wrote a Review Arriving to Volcán Cotopaxi and Refugio José Rivas in Provincia de Cotopaxi Things to Do
Photos in Provincia de CotopaxiSee All Photos (1057)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 840 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues