Ecuador Transportation Tips by MalenaN Top 5 Page for this destination
Ecuador Transportation: 54 reviews and 39 photos
There are no international flight to Galapagos Islands, but you have to fly from Quito or Guayaquil. From Quito to Galapagos it takes almost 2.5 hours, and that includes a stop in Guayaquil (when I travelled this route we changed planes in Guayaquil). From Guayaquil it takes 1.5 hours.
From mainland Ecuador you can fly to Baltra Island (just off the north coast of Isla Santa Cruz) or to Isla San Cristóbal. There is also an airport on Isla Isabela, but it is only operated by small planes coming from Baltra or San Cristóbal (so far at least). There are several daily flights, all arriving to Galapagos in the morning. They then return with passengers to the mainland, and the last plane is leaving around 13.00.
A return ticket in high season cost over $400 dollars for foreigners and less than $400 in low season (2011). For Ecuadorian citizens it is cheaper and for residents of Galapagos Islands it is even cheaper. My airplane ticket was included in the price of the cruise.
The three airlines flying to Galapagos are TAME, LAN and AeroGal.
When you arrive to Galapagos Islands you have to pay the National Park fee which is $100 (June 2011). There is also an INGALA transit control fee of $10 to be paid already at the airport in Quito or Guayaquil. This INGALA-fee was included in the price of my cruise.
At the airport on Isla Baltra there is a restaurant/café and there are a few souvenir stands. If you want to have a Galapagos stamp in your passport you can get it at a counter at the airport.
Galapagos is an hour ahead of mainland Ecuador, so don’t forget to change the time on your watch.
More Reviews (99)
- See All Chocolate
- See All Sani Lodge in the Amazon
- See All The camping at Sani Lodge
MalenaN's Related Pages
Ecuador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip in Ecuador with Maillekeul"
- "The land that lies in the middle of the world ..."
- "Ecuador, first step - Equateur, la premiere etape"
- "Ecuador-the country of four seasons!"
- "My itinerary in Ecuador 2011"
- "Ecuador: A Place of Special Consideration"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ecuador
- Hotels in Ecuador
- Transportation in Ecuador
- Nightlife in Ecuador
- Restaurants in Ecuador
- Shopping in Ecuador
- Warnings and Dangers in Ecuador
- See All...
Explore the World
- Death Valley National Park Hotels
- Province of Quezon Hotels
- Carriedo Hotels
- Lake Dove Hotels
- FYR of Macedonia
Badges & Stats in Ecuador
- 763 Reviews
- 5,552 Photos
- 71 Forum posts
- 43 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Ecuador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ecuador
Videos in EcuadorSee All Videos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 123 reviews, 555 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 100 reviews, 486 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 20 reviews, 222 photos, 15 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (183)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Top Ecuador hotels
- Quito Hotels
- 1036 Reviews - 2715 Photos
- Guayaquil Hotels
- 135 Reviews - 454 Photos
- Cumbayá Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Cuenca Hotels
- 261 Reviews - 796 Photos
- Bahía de Caráquez Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 93 Photos
- Otavalo Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 407 Photos
- Vilcabamba Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Puerto Ayora Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Riobamba Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Puerto López Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 137 Photos
- Baños Hotels
- 180 Reviews - 677 Photos
- Isla Baltra Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Gualaceo Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos
- Puerto Villamil Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 123 Photos
- Manta Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 119 Photos