"A few days in Riga" Top 5 Page for this destination Riga by MalenaN
Riga Travel Guide: 1,534 reviews and 3,861 photos
I visited Riga for a few days in December, just before Christmas. The weather was not the best, there was some snow, but it was very wet and the skies were all grey, every day. I think it would be very nice to see Riga in summertime too! But, despite the weather, it is always nice to see a new place and change environment for a while, and I enjoyed my visit.
I strolled around in the Old Town and in the new part of the city. I visited churches, museums and cafés. I also went to the Ethnographic Open Air Museum on the outskirts of the city and on a daytrip to Sigulda. I had hoped for a VT-meeting, but unfortunately the only person who had signed up didn’t show up at hour meeting point as she had been delayed and couldn't come.
Riga, with a population of 730 000 inhabitants, is the biggest city in the Baltic states. It is situated on a plain by Daugava River, 15 km from the coast. On the east side of Daugava River you will find the Old Town with cobbled streets and medieval architecture. The Old Town of Riga is on Unesco’s World Heritage List, but there has been a warning to withdraw it as there has been much moderation. Around in the city you can also see a lot of Art Nouveau architecture and visit many parks. In 2001 Riga celebrated its 800th anniversary.
The legend says that long ago Big Christopher lived on the right bank of Riga and he carried people across the water. I... more travel advice
In many parts of Riga you can find buildings built in Art Nouveau style. It is a style which is also called Jugendstil... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Baltic's"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- "Ice Cold in Riga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 57 Reviews
- 202 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (134)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Photos in RigaSee All Photos (202)
Videos in RigaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues