"A few days in Riga" Top 5 Page for this destination Riga by MalenaN

Riga Travel Guide: 1,534 reviews and 3,862 photos

I visited Riga for a few days in December, just before Christmas. The weather was not the best, there was some snow, but it was very wet and the skies were all grey, every day. I think it would be very nice to see Riga in summertime too! But, despite the weather, it is always nice to see a new place and change environment for a while, and I enjoyed my visit.

I strolled around in the Old Town and in the new part of the city. I visited churches, museums and cafés. I also went to the Ethnographic Open Air Museum on the outskirts of the city and on a daytrip to Sigulda. I had hoped for a VT-meeting, but unfortunately the only person who had signed up didn’t show up at hour meeting point as she had been delayed and couldn't come.

Riga, with a population of 730 000 inhabitants, is the biggest city in the Baltic states. It is situated on a plain by Daugava River, 15 km from the coast. On the east side of Daugava River you will find the Old Town with cobbled streets and medieval architecture. The Old Town of Riga is on Unesco’s World Heritage List, but there has been a warning to withdraw it as there has been much moderation. Around in the city you can also see a lot of Art Nouveau architecture and visit many parks. In 2001 Riga celebrated its 800th anniversary.

• Last visit to Riga: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Although you obviously didn't have any sunny weather, it looks like you made the most of your visit of Riga. I especially like your detailed restaurant and transportation tips. Your hostel seems to be a nice place as well. - I was in Riga in summer 2002 and really enjoyed the city as well.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM

There are lots of things to do in Riga and it was easy to fill the days with sight-seeing. I really liked the Ethnographic Open Air Museum and the celebrations taking place there.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Nice page

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Thank you Jim! Riga was a nice city, even though the weather wasn't that nice when I visited.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Going to Riga next year,so your tips are going to make my trip muc more enjoyabe. thanks for sharing

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Thank you Mariana! Riga is a nice city, especially the old town. I hope you will have better weather then I had though!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

We enjoyed Riga very much , but without snow . Good tips and and photos

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Thank you Juan! I wish I had seen some sun while I was in Riga.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Fantastic Riga page, Malena. A visit in winter seems like a great idea!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2011 at 1:06 PM

In your videos they seem to be having a good time celebrating at the Ethnographic Open Air Museum, despite the winter weather. Riga sounds like an interesting place, but it might be better at some other time of year.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM

It is a very wonderful looking place and away from the rest of the hub bub of crowds in the Euro scene. YOu did a nice job of taking the pictures and comments.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Very impressive Riga travel page with stunning images. Certainly bring back fond memories of our trip to Riga several years ago. The House of Blackheads, St. Peter's Church and Central Market were our favourite attractions in Riga. ~ho & pang

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 4:54 AM

The weather was not good but it looks like it did not slow you down any! Seeing the old zeppelin hangars was interesting and I had a chuckle over the 'cat house'. Great restaurant tips too!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM

wow you are so good - getting in and making such great pages and tips - Im getting further and further behind.....will I have to stop travelling eventually to catch up....??!! doubt it but nice to see your efforts here!

Badges & Stats in Riga