"Haapsalu" Top 5 Page for this destination Haapsalu by MalenaN
Haapsalu Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 306 photos
Haapsalu has a population of 12 000 people, and during the summer many visitors come here as Haapsalu is a popular seaside town. Haapsalu is situated on a peninsula and along the Haapsalu Bay on the Estonian west coast.
Haapsalu got its town right in 1279. Through the years control over Haapsalu has changed many times. It has been ruled by the German Knights of the Sword, the Danes, the Swedes and the Russians. During the 19th century Haapsalu became a popular spa resort for the Russian aristocrats and a railway was built from St Petersburg.
I visited Haapsalu on a daytrip from Tallinn, and off season. I found it to be a nice little town with many old wooden houses (from the beginning of the 20th century), museums, galleries and cafés. I also visited the castle and took a walk on the promenade along the bay. But I did not visit one of the spas where you can have a treatment with curative mud.
When I visited in April the museum, the Dome Church and the 38 metre tall clock tower were unfortunately closed, because... more travel advice
Läänemaa Museum is situated in the old Town Hall and it has been housed here since 1949. There are many old photos from... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Haapsalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HAAPSALU TOWN"
- "Haapsalu- Small Town with Great History"
- "Bonio's trip to Haapsalu"
- "A nice small resort-town..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haapsalu
- Hotels in Haapsalu
- Transportation in Haapsalu
- Nightlife in Haapsalu
- Restaurants in Haapsalu
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Haapsalu
- 9 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Haapsalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haapsalu
Photos in HaapsaluSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 121 reviews, 545 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 100 reviews, 486 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 20 reviews, 222 photos, 15 travelogues