"Uppsala" Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala by MalenaN
Uppsala Travel Guide: 341 reviews and 927 photos
When I went to university I lived in Uppsala.
Uppsala is the 4th biggest city in Sweden with 192 000 inhabitants. It has many historical buildings, a university and the biggest cathedral in Scandinavia.
Some km north of Uppsala is Old Uppsala which was the political and religious centre before the end of the 13th century. It had first been a good location but because the land elevation it became impossible to go with ships so far up the Fyris River.
A merchamnt town (East Aros) grow up where Uppsala is today. It was decided that the new cathedral was going to be built there but the condition from the pope was that the name Uppsala was kept for the town with the Cathedral.
Uppsala is located about 65 km north of Stockholm. With train it takes only 40 minutes between the two cities. The bus takes a bit longer but is cheaper. So, if you have planed to visit Stockholm it is also worth taking a daytrip to Uppsala.
The Orangery at Linnaeus Garden was built in 1744 and had three parts. It was Frigidarium, which was the coolest part... more travel advice
At Gustavianum there are also temporary exhibitions. When I was there you could also see glittering colourful cribs from... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Uppsala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Uppsala - Sweden's oldest university town"
- "My favorite Swedish town"
- "Uppsala by Maline"
- "Historic student city"
- "UPPSALA - An Underrated Unique Scandnavian City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uppsala
- Hotels in Uppsala
- Transportation in Uppsala
- Nightlife in Uppsala
- Restaurants in Uppsala
- Shopping in Uppsala
- Warnings and Dangers in Uppsala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uppsala
- 56 Reviews
- 187 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 70 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Uppsala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uppsala
Photos in UppsalaSee All Photos (187)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 48 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues