"Alexandria - a lovely city by the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria by MalenaN

Alexandria Travel Guide: 671 reviews and 1,764 photos

Alexandria is a big city, the second largest in Egypt, situated by the blue Mediterranean Sea. I really liked the atmosphere; to walk along the Cornish, sit at a café, visiting museums and historical places, travelling on the slow tram and to dive to see the ruins of the lighthouse.

I stayed three nights in Alexandria and felt it was too little. There were still many things left to see and do.

The famous library from ancient time, once the biggest library in the world, is not there any more, but a new modern one has been built. Neither is the lighthouse, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, standing. But if you are a diver you can dive at the site where the lighthouse is believed to have stood.

• Last visit to Alexandria: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 31, 2005

• corol57's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2012 at 4:16 AM

hi do u know its safe now in alexandria in aug 2012
    greethings corol57

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Dec 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Hello SandeeT, I visited Alexandria in 2006. So much has happened in Egypt since than so I can't really answer your question. You should ask the same question in the travel forum here on Virtual Tourist and I am sure will get some good answers.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Dec 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2011 at 5:19 AM

It was ages since we last visited Egypt! Alexandria is cetainly a great tourist destination with such attractions as the Catacombs, the Fort, the Library and the National Museum. We will certainly visit Alexandria whenever we visit Cairo again. Thanks for visiting our Hong Kong travel page. ~ho & pang

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Very interesting page about your scuba diving and sightseeing adventures in Alexandria. Sounds like you walked quite a bit on your trip!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Hope you're enjoying your vacation right now --- checking out your Alexandria tips -- excellent!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2008 at 7:31 AM

This is a wonderful page on Alexandria - the National Museum - the Fort - Diving - all look great to me. Also thanks Malena for visiting my Carcassonne pages. We enjoyed our visit there.

• seasonedveteran's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I only had a day trip to alot for alexandria taking a train from cairo! And didnt do my research so i wandered along the coastline for miles looking for the great library and lighthouse! It is so beautiful though

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 12:27 PM

It has been settled - I'm going to Alexandria (and Egypt) in a week! Thanks for your useful and interesting tips, Malena. I'll try to use some of them.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Fantastic tips! The modern Bibliotheca Alexandria looks impressive! Great shot of the lovely fort! Thanks for tip on National Museum of Alexandria. Great 1st pic in 2nd travelogue :-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Alexandria would be a fantastic destination--love your pictures and commentary! Have a very happy 2007...regards

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Enjoyed your Alexandria's page. Alexander the Great would have been proud. LOL. Cheers, SL

Badges & Stats in Alexandria

Have you been to Alexandria?

Latest Activity in Alexandria