"Philae temples" Top 5 Page for this destination Philae by MalenaN
Philae Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 342 photos
The Temple of Isis have a beautiful setting on an island. The views are great as you arrive by boat. The temple was mostly built during the reign of Ptolemy II Philadelphia (285 - 246 BC) on Philae Island and Isis was worshipped there until the temple was closed in 550 AD.
When the Aswan Dam was created in 1902 the temple was partly submerged for many months a year, and still more so when the dam was heightened. At that time it was possible to see the temple from rowing boats going around the ruins. Sounds to have been quiet nice to see them in that way.
As the Aswan Dam was constructed the temple complex on Philae Island was rescued and moved to the nearby island Agilkia.
There is no public transport to Philae (or Shellal village). I came here as part of a tour from Aswan. We left Aswan... more travel advice
The Kiosk of Trajan is an unfinished pavilion near the water. It is popular to photograph and it was popular to paint it... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Philae Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Philae Temples at night"
- "Philae - Temple on the Island"
- "Nile River Temple on Philae Island"
- "Philae temples"
- "The Temple of Philae"
- "Last Retreat for the Ancient Egyptian Religion"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philae
- Transportation in Philae
- Nightlife in Philae
- Restaurants in Philae
- Warnings and Dangers in Philae
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philae
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Philae?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philae
Photos in PhilaeSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues