"Ankara - the capital of Turkey" Top 5 Page for this destination Ankara by MalenaN

Ankara Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,293 photos

Ankara has been Turkey's capital since 1923. After Atatürk had won the war he declared the republic and moved the capital to Ankara, it is centrally located and it had no associations with the Ottoman Empire.
The city is now Turkey's second largest with a population of
4 million.
In the north is the old city, Ulus, and to the south is the new Ankara, Yenisehir.
The two must sees in the city are the Museum of Anatolian Civilisation and Anit Kabir (Atatürk Mausoleum).

• Last visit to Ankara: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2004

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2010 at 5:47 AM

Going to Turkey at last in 2011. Ankara is on the itinerary. Again, nice pages.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I cannot believe that they would drop you on the highway if you bought wrong ticket. Thanks for the information ;-)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I think I will spend more time in the citadel and the museums than at the Atatürk mausoleum when I will visit Ankara! Very interesting page, Malena. Ah! Yes, simit for a small hunger when walking around must be enjoyable.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Thank you Malena for bringing back sweet memories about the capital of Turkey! Amazingly we have taken several same photos, haha!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 11:50 PM

A very interesting tour with great advice on how to deal with Ankara! The Ataturk memorial looks very impressive. I liked your photo of the gate at Hattusa, since I recently watched a program on the history of the Hittites!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Must have been nice to see the little village after the noisy traffic in the city streets.

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Excellent Ankara page Malena! I am definately going on my next trip to Turkey!

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2005 at 5:02 PM

Great page - especially like those tips and photos of Museum of Anatolian Civilication.

• Profsmiley's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 11:56 PM

Very informative page with lovely pics, Malena! I hope to visit Hattusas and Yazilikaya next time I'm in Ankara. Thanx for the tip :)

• evona's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2004 at 8:33 AM

Great page. I hope I`ll go there one day. Greetings :)

Badges & Stats in Ankara