"Antakya" Hatay by MalenaN
Hatay Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 121 photos
Antakya is situated in south Turkey, close to Syria. It is the ancient Antioch and used to be a very prosperous and large town. It once had a population of half a million inhabitants compared to 140 000 inhabitants now days. Until 1939 Antakya was part of the French Protectorate of Syria and the Arabic influence was large. Still many people speak Arabic.
The city is divided in two parts by the Asi River. The west, more modern part, has wide streets while the east side is where you find the old part with the bazaar district and narrow streets.
Antakya is known for the Museum, which has an outstanding collection of Roman mosaics. This is also the place of St Peter's Cave-Church, the first Christian church.
I went with Zehra to the school where she works. She told me that every Monday morning all schoolchildren gather in the... more travel advice
In the hills, about 8 km south of Antakya, is the town of Harbiye. It is the ancient Daphne and was during Roman time a... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Hatay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient Antioch"
- "also known as ANTAKYA ..."
- "Turkish City with Syrian flavour"
- "The Birthplace of Christianity?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hatay
- Hotels in Hatay
- Transportation in Hatay
- Nightlife in Hatay
- Restaurants in Hatay
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hatay
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Hatay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hatay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues