Antalya Things to Do Tips by MalenaN Top 5 Page for this destination
Antalya Things to Do: 251 reviews and 491 photos
In a restored Ottoman house in Kaleici is the Suna and Inan Kirac Kaleici Museum. On the upper floor the rooms has an ethnographic exhibition, showing life in the second half of the 19th century. Important events shown are the serving of coffee, the bride’s henna night and shaving of the bridegroom.
Across the courtyard is a restored Orthodox church. Here there is an exhibition of ceramics.
There is also a bookstore in the museum.
Entrance fee is 1 000 000 TL (July 2004).
When I was there I was the only visitor. It was in the morning so I hope more people find their way there later during the day. It is centrally located in Kaleici.
Address: Barbaros Mah. Kocatepe Sok. No: 25
Directions: Just off Hesapci Sokak, Kaleici
Phone: 0090 242 243 42 74
Glass items at the museum
Antalya Archaeological Museum is considered to be one of the best in Turkey and it is easy to see that. It is large with a variety of artefacts from different periods and different sites around Antalya.
Here you find everything: fossils, jewellery from the Bronze Age, tools and pottery, statues of classical gods, mosaics etc. And everything is displayed in a nice way with good information.
After the archaeology section there are some rooms displaying ethnographic artefacts from the Ottoman era, for example dresses, music instrument, weapons and carpets.
Take your time! There are so many things worth seeing!
Entrance fee is 15 000 000 TL.
Entrance for students is 3 000 000 TL.
I got a slight chock hearing the price and the woman selling the ticket saw that and gave the student price, which I am very happy for.
Address: Cumhuriyet Caddesi
Directions: Take the tram to Müze
The Fluted Minaret, Antalya
The Yivli Minaret (also called the Fluted Minaret) has become the symbol of Antalya. It stands below the Republic Square (Cumhüriyet Meydani) and is very much photographed. The minaret (and mosque) was built by the Seljuk’s in the 13th century. It is 38 metres high.
The relics of St Nicholas, Antalya Museum
In small room in Antalya Museum, where Christian Art is exhibited, there are relics of St Nicholas in a small box.
St Nicholas (Noel Baba) was a Christian bishop living along the coast south of Antalya, and from the legend about him comes Father Christmas.
Cumhuriyet Meydani, Antalya
Like in every Turkish city Antalya has its statue of Atatürk, the father of the nation. In Antalya it stands on Cumhurieyet Meydani (Republic Square), which is just by Kaleici (Old Town). Standing in the middle of the square this monument is a good meeting place.
Street in Kaleici
Kaleici is full of old restored Ottoman houses now turned into pensions, hotels, restaurants and souvenir shops. Some tourists stay here, but many come just on a quick guided tour with a group – Kaleici deserves more time than that. Do not only walk the main roads, but take your time to discover the small back streets as well.
The ancient harbour
The harbour (Eski Liman) has got an old history; it dates back to Roman times. The harbour lies below Kaleici with citadel walls along the slopes. Around the harbour lie cafes, restaurants and shops for tourists.
In the harbour are tour boats lying on line. If you walk around here in the evening you will for sure be asked to go on a day tour the day after or on an evening trip that same moment.
The beach, Konyaalti Plaji, is to the west. It is a pebbled beach about 3 km long. Several hotels are built along the beach, but if you are staying in Kaleici you can take the tram to the end station Müze and then walk a few hundred metres down to the beach.
Hadrians Gate in Kaleici
Hadrian's Gate is a monumental gate between the old city Kaleici and the more modern Atatürk Caddesi.
It has three arches and is made of marble. It was built in honour for Emperor Hadrian when he came to visit in AD 130.
More Reviews (13)
MalenaN's Related Pages
Antalya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A N T A L Y A is Old City(citadel) a.k.a KALEICI"
- "Antalya at Christmas time"
- "Antalya Turkey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antalya
- Hotels in Antalya
- Transportation in Antalya
- Nightlife in Antalya
- Restaurants in Antalya
- Shopping in Antalya
- Warnings and Dangers in Antalya
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tangmarg Hotels
- Serra de Montejunto
- Blanchisseuse Hotels
- State of Punjab Hotels
- Chippawa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Antalya
- 22 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Antalya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antalya
- Posted in Travel Barichara Forum "Re: Turismo receptivo..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Suna and Inan Kirac Kaleici Museum"
- Commented on one of iandsmith's Antalya travel pages
- updated a Antalya Travelogue "More photos"
- Wrote a Review Atatürk statue about Ataturk Monument and Square in Antalya Things to Do
Photos in AntalyaSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 123 reviews, 555 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 100 reviews, 486 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 20 reviews, 222 photos, 15 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (183)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Antalya hotel reviews
- Suite Laguna Apart & Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 14, 2012
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Antalya
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Club Hotel Falcon
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Aydinbey Gold Dreams
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2012
- Secret Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2012
- Nazar Beach City And Resort Hot
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Greenwood Resort Hotel
- 137 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Ninova Pension
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Kaktus Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Panorama Hotel Alanya
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2012
- Lotus Hotel Antalya
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 30, 2011
- Saturn Palace Resort
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Rixos Lares
- 208 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Antalya Adonis Hotel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Kaleici - Old Town- 21 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Düden Waterfall- 10 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Hadrian's Gate- 24 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Myra- 11 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Aspendos- 16 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Perge- 14 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Saat Kulesi - The Clock Tower- 8 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Ataturk Monument and Square- 7 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Archeological Museum- 13 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Kursunlu Waterfalls- 7 Reviews, 13 Photos
See All Antalya Things to Do