"Istanbul" Istanbul by MalenaN

Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,887 reviews and 20,398 photos

Istanbul is a city on two continents, where Asia and Europe meet in a great mix.

There is also a mix of old and new. With a long and interesting history the city has many old buldings, mosques and museums for the visitor to explore. In other parts you will find nice cafés and restaurants and modern shoppingcentres for great shopping.

Situated by the water and with its many mosques making wonderful siluttes against the sky it is one of the most beautiful big cities in the world. It is a city to fall in love with!

I visited Istanbul in 2003 and 2004 and the currency used in my tips is therefore the old Turkish Lira. To compare with today’s currency you just have to delete six zeros.

• Last visit to Istanbul: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2005

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Hi Malena, thanks for visiting my Istanbul page. Yours is very complete and reminded me the streets of Fener and Balat. Nice pictures!

• patnoelle's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Malena- Great page on Istanbul! One of the places which I have visited and fell in love... Great city, can't wait to visit again!!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Have just returned from Istanbul. Got to see and do most that you did. Still didn't get to see lots that I wanted, bit of a problem with English when wanting to travel off the beaten track in Istanbul.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Excellent tips and photos of Istanbul! The view from the roof of your pension is spectacular.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

We're flying to Tashkent via Istanbul later this year - a wonderful chance to spend a few more days there. Thanks for your tips and insights. leyle

• Jan 8, 2009 at 8:46 PM

We are going to be in Istanbul in July 2009 coming in on a cruise ship. I would like to take my kids (25-26) to the Grand Bazar, what is the best way to get from the ship to the Bazar without going on a tour

• Oct 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Excellent web site with a lot of information!

• rita_simoes's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Wonderful pics and excellent tips!

• Nov 7, 2007 at 12:41 PM

That was an awful description. The Suleymaniye Mosque is one of the most beautiful mosques in the world, with its uniquely regal white, red and gold interior. If you can only see one sight in your trip to Istanbul, see the Suleymaniye Mosque.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 7:39 PM

We visited in 1999 and loved it!but all my pics are in Australia so its nice to refresh memories and see your travels there - mammoth page!Thanks for enjoying my Tromso page!

Badges & Stats in Istanbul

Have you been to Istanbul?

Latest Activity in Istanbul