"Trabzon" Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon by MalenaN

Trabzon Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 424 photos

Trabzon is a big city with a population of almost 500 000. It's built on a mountainside above the Black Sea.

Trabzon was my first stop in Turkey ever. While I was here I saw Aya Sofya and I went to see Sumela Monastery, 45 km from Trabzon. I know there is much more to see but I had many more places to travell to.

As soon as I have time to use a scanner I will add some more pictures.

• Last visit to Trabzon: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2004

• Nov 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I was confirmed in the Santa Maria Catholic Church in Trabzon, Turkey in 1968. Does anyone have the email address of the church so I can communicate with the Priest for documentation of my Confirmation.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 7:55 AM

I didn't know about existence of another Aya Sofya in Turkey. Its frescoes seem to be beautiful. Pity there isn't a view of its exterior. Thanks Malena for the virtual tour!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM

you travel the same way as I do , always having to find the right bus or a nice hotel when arriving

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2007 at 9:13 AM

I'vewanted to visit Trabzon ever since I read a wonderful book - The Towers of Trabizon - where had you come from that you arrived there first? leyle

• photonina's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Hi Malena! how are you? hey, are you traveling? btw, do you remember the address of this Santa Maria Hostel in Trabzon? I'm kind of going to visit Sumela in few days. and how do you think is it possible to stay somewhere near the monastery for a night?

• smeagol13's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 12:40 PM

well I should add that the monastery is under restoration almost every month of the year, but it certainly is worthy of seeing. especially the natural of the place where the monastery locates is fascinating.

• viajeras2's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 7:40 AM

Hi.. i saw u site was good and about the hotel u mention and i like to see if u can give me some more information like if the area is good and safe..i planning to travel there with my kid next summer. (2007) thank u.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2006 at 9:18 AM

You picked a nice little spot for your introduction to Turkey! Hmm, figuring out those busses and foreign exchange details can be a hassle when you don't know the rules yet!

• Jul 20, 2006 at 7:33 AM

Aya Sofya looks great with the fresos !

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 3:07 AM

Thinking of venturing into this eastern Turkish city. Some treasures in here, and thank you for sharing them with us.

Badges & Stats in Trabzon

Have you been to Trabzon?

Latest Activity in Trabzon