"The surroundings of Van" Top 5 Page for this destination Van by MalenaN

Van Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 442 photos

The city Van is not a beautiful or picturesque city but quite modern, but nice with great view of the mountains around. It's a good place to stay at while exploring the surroundings and to see, for example, the impressive Hosap Castle, the old Armenian church on Akdamar Island or the blue colour of Van Gülü, which is so beautiful against the bare mountains around. In Van there is Van Kalesi.

I visited Van in 2003, and also in 2004. Both times I didn’t stay long, two nights and one night. But I hope to visit again one day.

• Last visit to Van: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Interesting photos and tips from your visits in 2003 and 2004. I must admit I had never heard of Van before or of that large alkaline lake.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Dec 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Oh, it is already 10 years since I visited Van, how time flies! I remember it to be very beautiful with the blue colour of the lake with the bare surrounding hills. Thank you for visiting Don!

• Oct 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Mrs L (thewanderingcamel) just sent me a lovely postcard of that typical scene from akdamar island. it was so pretty, and got me interested ,so i came to check your van page! very nice work malena!

• Behi's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Thanks for useful info. I'll be in Van on Thursday

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Fascinating landscapes ! These ruins are very impressive. I love your photo of the sunset on Van lake.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Van is very close to my country maybe next year in April I go for visit it. Thanks for nice page

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Though it was 1985, I can remember the boattrip to Akdamar Island and the castle. I looked also for the Van cats. I didn't see them in Van, but later not far from my home town.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 9:58 AM

What amazing history this place has! Van certainly has a beautiful setting with its mountans, a picturesque castle and a beautiful lake.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 10:39 AM

What a lovely Van cat! Unfortunately, I have never been to Van but it looks very interesting indeed.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 1:10 AM

Interesting page about such an exotic (for me) destination. Akdamar Island and the old Armenian church are really worth visiting. Beautiful pic of Van Cat with one blue and one yellow eye. Thanks Malena for sharing!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 9:45 PM

A cool page of Van. Turkey has so much to offer. Another destination that I can't wait to go. Thanks for sharing all the small details. Cheers, SL

Badges & Stats in Van