"Shiraz" Top 5 Page for this destination Shiraz by MalenaN

Shiraz Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 593 photos

Shiraz is the city of poets and gardens. Two of the most famous Persian poets, Hafez and Saadi, have their tombs here in pleasant gardens. There are many more gardens, beautiful and calm places to stroll around in.

During the Zand dynasty, AD 1747 - 79, Shiraz was the capital of Iran and at that time many of the fine buildings in Shiraz were built. Shiraz have an atmospheric bazaar and many nice mosques.

Shiraz is situated in a valley at an elevation of 1491 metres above sea level and it is the capital of Fars province. It has a population of 1 200 000. Around in Fars province there are many interesting historical sites to visit, like Persepolis, Pasargadae, Qal’eh Doktar and many more.

I was lucky to meet Ayshe from Shiraz, and her husband, when I was on Kish Island. When I came to Shiraz I called her and she was kind to take me around and show me the city. She is a great friend!

• Last visit to Shiraz: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2013

• goshtasb's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM

i have gone to shiraz two times and reading a tourist narration about the places in shiraz make my memory fresh! your writing is both summery and complete.
    and great photos especially in Bagh-e-Eram.
    and also in few photos you were eating ice-cream, it looks your journey was in summer?!!

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Hello Goshtasb, Yes I visited in summer, and I had a great time in Shiraz, and liked all the beautiful gardens very much. And I had met some very nice people who showed me around.

• May 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM

i was at Saadi back in the 70's , reading the poet on the walls..Good old memories.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Really interesting!

• Redang's Profile Photo
      May 26, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I met him in Santander at the end of April

May 26, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I have seen that Juan has made some Indian pages, but I have not read them. I hope they had a great time!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2013 at 7:12 AM

The tombs and ancient carvings are all so impressive. Thanks for sharing this. Excellent page!

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Thanks for visiting Dee! Shiraz is a lovely city with all its gardens, and historical sights nearby (like Persepolis) are very impressive.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 6:02 AM

What an amazing place, I love the photos. I have never been to this part of the world, but love seeing it through the eyes of VT-members :D

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Yes, there are some beautiful gardens here. The Shwarmas and Kebab sure look delicious. I would not starve here, that's for sure.

• aliamiri's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2008 at 3:22 AM

Yes, Shiraz is definitely a stunning travel destination ... a mixture of culture and history ... and my birthplace too! :) I gonna to make my Shiraz page soon.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Another splendid page, Malena. The tomb of Hafez photo, with the reflections, is terrific...very well composed. As for me, I'll make a memo note to myself : Going to Shiraz? Bring toilet paper. :)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 9:41 AM

I don't remember much of Shiraz except visiting the court yard of a big mosque and a crazy taxi driver and buying sweets.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 12:00 PM

I wrote yesterday I will be in Shiraz; it was virtually! the Persian are masters in gardens and watering; wonderful mosquees. You made a very nice page Malena, bravo!

Badges & Stats in Shiraz