Tabriz Off The Beaten Path Tips by MalenaN Top 5 Page for this destination
Tabriz Off The Beaten Path: 4 reviews and 17 photos
Kandovan village, Iran
Kandovan is a small picturesque village about 50 km south of Tabriz. The landscape reminds a bit of Cappadoccia in Turkey, but the cone formed rocks cover a much smaller area. The volcanic rocks has been eroded to strange formations and houses have been carved into the rocks. People are still living in the cave houses, and have done so for the last 1600 years.
Kandovan is situated at an altitude of 1288 metres on the slopes of Mt Sahandkuh. It can be very cold most of the year, but in the summer months it is nice. Tourists come here and it is a popular place for Friday picnic. There is a picnic area around the river. Around the river you can also drink mineral water said to cure kidney disease.
Kandovan can be reached by public transport from Tabriz, but it can be difficult. A better option is to take a taxi, which would cost around IR 100 000, including waiting time.
Church of St Stephanos
The Armenian church and monastery St Stephanos is situated about 50 km west of Jolfa in the Aros River valley, with a beautiful mountain scenery around. On the other side of the river is Azerbaijan (Nakhchivan).
The church has a typical Armenian architecture with a tall bell tower and in the middle a cylindrical tower with a conical roof. On the exterior walls there are well preserved relieves of crosses, angels and saints (most churches in Armenia only have relieves and carvings of crosses on the walls).
It is said that St Bartholomew founded a church here already AD 62, and it is also said that the Armenian king Ashot constructed a church and monastery on the site in the 9th century. Well, of what can be seen today the oldest part dates from the 14th century, but most is from the 16th century as it had to be rebuilt after an earthquake.
To go to St Stephanos from Tabriz on a tour (car and driver) cost about IR 300 000 (June 2006).
More Reviews (9)
MalenaN's Related Pages
Tabriz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Here is Tabriz where my heart pit a pat on it !"
- "TABRIZ , THE LAND OF NOBILITY AND GALLANTRY"
- "Some Tabriz Impressions"
- "arash's new Tabriz Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tabriz
- Hotels in Tabriz
- Transportation in Tabriz
- Restaurants in Tabriz
- Warnings and Dangers in Tabriz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lahore Hotels
- Singapore Hotels
- Montreal Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Sentul Hotels
- Sonoma Coast State Beach Hotels
- West Seattle Hotels
- Stittsville Hotels
- Ichetucknee Springs State Park Hotels
- Runaway Bay Hotels
- Batangas City Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels
- La Spezia
- Wisconsin Dells Hotels
- Laoag City
Badges & Stats in Tabriz
- 11 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Tabriz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tabriz
Photos in TabrizSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues