"Persepolis" Top 5 Page for this destination Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) by MalenaN
Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 260 photos
Persepolis was the ceremonial capital of the Persian Empire (Achaemenid Empire). It is a complex of palaces built on a stone terrace, 14 metres above the surrounding plain. Work with Persepolis begun around 518 BC, when Darius I was king, and it was added to during the next 150 years.
Especially during the New Year celebrations (Noruz) delegates from all over the empire came to Persepolis to pay homage to the kings. As Persepolis was more for ceremonial use the kings did not stay here all year round, but spent much time in their palaces in other cities.
The glory of Persepolis came to an end when it was occupied by Alexander the Great in 330 BC. Alexander plundered the city of all its treasures and he burned it down (it is not known if that was an accident or not).
Persepolis is an Unesco World Heritage Site and it really deserves it. It is one of the best surviving masterpieces of the Ancient Near East. For centuries the city was covered with sand and not until 1930 largely excavated. The quality of the many stone reliefs, almost 2500 years, old are magnificent
Apadana Palace was built on a platform and two monumental stairways lead up to the palace, one on the east side and one... more travel advice
The Palace of Darius is situated south of Apadana Palace and it is also built on a platform and reached by stairs with... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "* TAKHT-E JAMSHID * THE THRONE OF JAMSHID *"
- "takht-e-jamshid ( PersPolis )"
- "The Amazing Persepolis !"
- "bas-reliefs and friezes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Hotels in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Transportation in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Restaurants in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Warnings and Dangers in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- 11 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Posted in Travel Puyo Forum "Re: Traveling alone"
- updated a Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Page "Persepolis"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Persepolis"
- Wrote a Review Apadana Staircase in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Things to Do
- Commented on one of thelittlevoice's Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) travel pages
Photos in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)See All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 48 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues