"Sanahin" Sanain by MalenaN

• Last visit to Sanain: Jun 2003
  • Intro Written May 24, 2006

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Interesting accommodation tip and brilliant photos in the travelogues.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      May 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I liked Sanahin very much, it was an interesting place to visit. When I was there in 2003 I didn't see any other foreign tourist, but was told there had been one there a few days earlier.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Hi Malena,
    We've just booked a day trip from Tbilisi to Sanahin, Haghpat and Akhtala for next week. We may try to catch the cable car from Alaverdi if we get chance.
    Thanks for sharing your photos and tips - it looks like a very picturesque region!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Feb 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I didn't know they do day trips from Tbilisi to Sanahin, Haghpat and Akhtala now days. It will be a very good day trip! I visited 10 years ago and at that time I didn't encounter any other tourists during my visit in the region.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
      Feb 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

You were right - it was a great day trip....and we didn't see any other tourists there!
      A company called Envoy Tours have just re-introduced day trips from Tbilisi. We visited both monasteries, the church and had a khorovats lunch in a family-run eatery by the roadside. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to take the cable car ride in Alaverdi.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Another set of great photos !

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Nice hotel tip of Sanain.

• mikeocalla's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 4:46 PM

I slept here also and had the whole place to myself. One of the best memories was walking up to the roof in the early evening (after a little rain) and watching the stars come out. Then wandering around the building in the dark was an adventure also!

Badges & Stats in Sanain