San Juan del Sur Transportation Tips by MalenaN Top 5 Page for this destination
San Juan del Sur Transportation: 4 reviews and 3 photos
The bus in San Juan del Sur
Buses leave San Juan del Sur about every half an hour for Rivas. The bus ride takes 45 minutes and cost 15 cordobas (July 2009). At the bus station in Rivas I asked for a bus to San Jorge, from where the ferries leave for Isla de Ometepe, and was told that there are minibuses passing on the street. Before I had time to cross the street a taxi driver told me he could take me to the port for 40 cordobas.
I took the taxi from Rivas to San Jorge and as I went into the car a friend of the taxi driver also went into the car. As the taxi left the station two men shouted ”take care”. Soon after the friend of the taxi driver took out a big tool. Having read in the newspaper only the previous day about fake taxi drivers robbing their customers in another Nicaraguan city I felt that this might be very bad, so when the car turned in a direction I thought was wrong I said that this is not good. The taxi driver assured me it was the right way and soon after his friend left. Arriving at the port of San Jorge I told the taxi drivers what I had read about taxis in Nicaragua and he just laughed and said that this is not Managua.
From San Jorge to Isla de Ometepe there are several boats per day. The ferry (bigger boat) only leaves twice a day, but the lancha (smaller boat) leaves more often. At the port I paid the admission of 10 cordobas (July 2009) and then sat down in the waiting hall for a while. The lancha was a little late arriving from Isla de Ometepe so we didn’t depart on time. When it was time to board the boat everyone tried to get on at once so for some time it was a bit chaotic. But soon everyone had taken a seat and we left. The tickets were sold on board and it was 30 cordobas. The boat ride took one hour. It was a bit wavy but not rough.
The boat stops in Moyogalpa, a small town on the western side of Isla de Ometepe. Here I arranged for a hike to Volcán Concepión and went to the supermarket to buy water and snacks. Then I bought an ice cream at Eskimos and sat down at the pavement waiting for the next bus. While I was waiting a pickup from Hotel Finca Playa Venecia (where I was going) stopped and said I could go with them, they were only picking up a couple of tourists arriving with the next lancha, which were arriving soon.
San Juan del Sur
I arrived to Managua early in the morning. The exchange offices had not opened jet, but I found an ATM in the departure hall. I was approached by a taxi driver who showed his badge and told me he drove an official taxi (with red plates). He wanted to have 16 dollars (July 2009) for driving me to the bus terminal at Roberto Huembes.
As the taxi stopped at Roberto Humbes the car was surrounded with men asking me were I was going. One man grabbed my bag and I told him I wanted to carry it myself. He refused to give it back but told me not to worry and showed his t-shirt with the name of a bus company. He took me on board a bus to Rivas and put my backpack on the shelf above my seat. The bus was very busy with people going back and forth selling things and the man leaned over me and asked for 20 cordobas (1 dollar) for showing me the right bus. The situation felt quite aggressive so I paid and then took my backpack down and put it against the wall by my legs. There was still room for a passenger next to me. The bus was soon filled up and we left. The bus ride to Rivas took about 2 hours and it was 40 cordobas (July 2009).
In Rivas the bus stopped at the terminal, and from the same terminal buses leave for San Juan del Sur. They leave every half an hour so I didn’t have to wait long for the next bus. To San Juan del Sur it took 40 minutes and it was 15 cordobas. In San Juan del Sur the buses stop two blocks from the beach and it is easy to walk to most hotels from there.
More Reviews (9)
MalenaN's Related Pages
San Juan del Sur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where you count your days by the sunsets!"
- "San Juan del Sur"
- "San Juan del Sur"
- "Best beaches in the Nicaraguan Pacific."
- "Bahia Majagual eco-lodge"
- "San Juan del Sur"
- "the wonderful world of San Juan del Sur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Juan del Sur
- Hotels in San Juan del Sur
- Transportation in San Juan del Sur
- Nightlife in San Juan del Sur
- Restaurants in San Juan del Sur
- Warnings and Dangers in San Juan del Sur
- See All...
Explore the World
- Santarém Hotels
- Sum-ag Hotels
- Nathia Gali Hotels
- Dodanduwa Hotels
Badges & Stats in San Juan del Sur
- 11 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to San Juan del Sur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan del Sur
- Posted in Travel Strängnäs Forum "Re: Is it easy to get to the..."
- updated a San Juan del Sur Travelogue "San Juan del Sur 1988/89"
- Uploaded a Photo to "San Juan del Sur 1988/89"
- Wrote a Review More restaurants on the beach in San Juan del Sur Restaurants
- Commented on one of isolanthui's San Juan del Sur travel pages
Photos in San Juan del SurSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 119 reviews, 582 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (192)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest San Juan del Sur hotel reviews
- Morgans Rock Hotel
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Piedras y Olas, A Pelican Eyes Resort
- 358 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Casablanca
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2013
- Balcones at Majagual Eco-Resort
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Buena Vista Surf Club
- 219 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013