"Barra de Santiago" Barra de Santiago by MalenaN

Barra de Santiago Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 65 photos

Barra de Santiago is a small fishing village in western El Salvador. I only passed the village itself by bus as I continued another 3 km to Capricho Beach House. Capricho Beach House is situated near La Bocana, where you have the ocean on one side and the estuary and mangrove reserve on the other side. This part of Barra de Santiago is a protected nature reserve and it is rich in plants and animals. Along the calm waters of the estuary there are some quite big houses owned by rich El Salvadorians.

Along the Pacific Ocean there are kilometres of empty beach where you can take nice long walks or swim. Barra de Santiago is said to be good for surfing. I’m not a surfer, but were asked if I didn’t want to take a lesson, and if I had stayed longer I might have done that. I did go on a canoe trip to the estuary and mangrove reserve though. In August - November when the giant sea turtle lay their eggs you can go on a turtle spotting trip and visit a turtle conservation project. Another thing you can do in Barra de Santiago is deep sea fishing. And in this tranquil place it is of course great to relax in a hammock with a good book.

• Last visit to Barra de Santiago: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Relaxing by the beach with a good book sounds good but like Lori I wouldn't fancy staying here alone. I do like the sound of the canoe trip though!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 4:30 AM

The area looks quite nice but again, I think you are so brave to be in such places alone.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Another great page! Sorry to hear about your experience at the Capricho Beach House. The breakfast there certainly did not appear to be a good value.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Great tips! I agree with Bwana Brown; canoeing in the Mangrove Swamp sounds fun!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Canoeing in a mangrove swamp - that's something I would love to do! Nice looking beach in Barra de Santiago too! However, I can understand why you felt like moving on.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM

Sounds like a pleasant area to spend a day. Capricho Beach House looks nice but the service was not what to be expected from such place, especially the food. It's a pity there were no other guests! I can understand it wasn't much fun being all alone.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Great hotel & transportation tips! I have to say, you are very brave to travel alone but you have everything planned so well.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 11:39 PM

great photo with the sea rolling on the beach !

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Lovely empty beach! I just came back from 2 weeks Sofia, Serbia and Timisoara tonight.

Badges & Stats in Barra de Santiago

Have you been to Barra de Santiago?

Latest Activity in Barra de Santiago