"Ruínas de San Andrés" Ruinas de San Andrés by MalenaN
Ruinas de San Andrés Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 30 photos
At the Archaeological Park of San Andrés you can see old Maya ruins, not as impressive as in Mexico and Guatemala, but still interesting. San Andrés was the capital of Valle de Zapotitlán between AD 600 - 900. At its peak it is believed that up to 12 000 people lived here. The park covers an area of 35 hectares and it was inaugurated in 1996.
The ruins of San Andrés were buried in 1658 when Vulcán Playón had an eruption and not until 1977 the pyramids of San Andrés were unearthed again. Not all mounds have jet been unearthed though. Excavations have mainly been done around the political and ceremonial centre. The main pyramid by the great plaza has a bell shape and it is 15 metres high. Nearby there is a subterranean tunnel. Restoration has been done and protective walls cover some of the ruins.
Near the car park there is nice museum which is good to visit before continuing to the ruins. There is also a café and a few souvenir stands. Next to the museum there is an indigo dying place from colonial times.
The Archaeological park is open Tuesdays - Sundays between 9 - 17.
Admission was 3 dollars (June 2009) for foreigners and 1 dollar for El Salvadorians.
I was very happy to visit San Andrés together with Nancy (VT-member conejita71) and her brother (Marco) and his wife (Ana Emma). Thank you so much for a great day!
If you come on your own San Andrés (together with Joya de Cerén) can easily be visited by bus from both San Salvador and Santa Ana.
MalenaN's Related Pages
Ruinas de San Andrés Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ruinas de San Andrés
- 0 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (144)
Have you been to Ruinas de San Andrés?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas de San Andrés
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 837 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 130 reviews, 638 photos, 3 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 55 reviews, 460 photos, 25 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 59 reviews, 409 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues