"San Salvador - Capital of El Salvador" Top 5 Page for this destination San Salvador by MalenaN
San Salvador Travel Guide: 156 reviews and 420 photos
San Salvador, the capital of El Salvador, is situated on the foothills of Vulcán San Salvador in the centre of the country. It is a big city with a population of 1.8 million, almost a third of the total population of El Salvador. The climate is tropical with the wet season stretching between May - October and the dry season between November - April. December - February are the coldest months.
In 1525 San Salvador was founded at a location 30 km northeast of were it is now situated, but only three years later it moved to the present location. After independence from Spain San Salvador became the capital of the Federal Republic of Central America and later of El Salvador as the federation fell apart.
Even if San Salvador is an old city there are not many old buildings left. The city is situated in an area of tectonic activity and earthquakes have destroyed the city, or parts of it, in 1854, 1873, 1986 and 2001 and at several other occasions. And there was an eruption of Vulcán San Salvador in 1917 and there has been floods. To this the civil war added sever damages, both when it comes to lives and infrastructure.
In San Salvador you can find ?different worlds?. There are modern parts with broad avenues and big shopping malls but there are also poor neighbourhoods. In the city centre you will find a bustling street life with a lot of traffic and vendors on the streets. There are several squares and parks and monumental buildings, the cathedral, the parliament and the theatre among others. This is an interesting part to visit for a tourist, but I would not walk around here alone after dark, even during daytime you should watch your belongings. The best museums in San Salvador you will find in the more modern and quieter parts of Zona Rosa and Colonia Escalón.
San Salvador has a reputation of violence and has got one of the highest murder rates in the world, but most of the violence is gang related and happens in some of the suburbs of San Salvador. So don?t let this stop you from visiting the capital of El Salvador! I found people to be very kind and helpful and I was also very happy to meet with VT-member conejita71 (Nancy) and her family who showed me around.
In the crypt under the cathedral is the tomb of Archbishop Oscar A Romero. His grave has got a bronze sarcophagus and in... more travel advice
At the Archaeological Park of San Andrés you can see old Maya ruins, not as impressive as in Mexico and Guatemala, but... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
San Salvador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Salvador - Capital of El Salvador"
- "SAN SALVADOR"
- "San Salvador is OK"
- "San Salvador Page"
- "Thelukey?s New San Salvador Page"
- "El Salvador"
- "My home city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Salvador
- Hotels in San Salvador
- Transportation in San Salvador
- Nightlife in San Salvador
- Restaurants in San Salvador
- Shopping in San Salvador
- Warnings and Dangers in San Salvador
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Salvador
- 17 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to San Salvador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Salvador
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Page views"
- updated a San Salvador Travel Page "San Salvador - Capital of El Salvador"
- Commented on one of tratoria's San Salvador travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "San Salvador - Capital of El Salvador"
- Wrote a Review Tomb of Oscar A Romero in San Salvador Things to Do
Photos in San SalvadorSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues