"Santa Ana and the vulcanoes" Santa Ana by MalenaN
Santa Ana Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 137 photos
Santa Ana is the second largest city in El Salvador with more than 250 000 inhabitants in the urban area. The city is situated at an elevation of 650 metres above sea level and has a warm climate with an average temperature of 25°C. As the rest of El Salvador there is a wet season and a dry season.
Santa Ana was inhabited long before the Spaniards arrived and was then known as Sihuatehuacán, which means “The city of sorceresses” in Nahuat. In 1569 the name was changed to Santa Ana and that year a chapel in honour of Our Lady of Santa Ana was built. Santa Ana became a town in 1812 and a city in 1824. After a revolt in 1894 against the president and dictator Carlos Ezeta Santa Ana was called the Heroic City because the revolt begun there. In the late 19th century the coffee industry grew prosperous and some of the historic buildings around Parque Libertad were built at that period.
Santa Ana can be a good place to base yourself in when exploring the western part of El Salvador. I visited Parque Nacional Los Vulcanes (Cerro Verde) from here and had hoped to visit the ruins in Tazumal as well, but changed my plans in the end. In the city itself it is nice to spend some time exploring Parque Libertad and the historical buildings around. You can also find some good restaurants and cafés in the city and big shopping malls in the outskirts.
To go from Santa Ana to Copán Ruínas in Honduras the quickest way is to go through Guatemala and if you are using public... more travel advice
In one corner of Parque Libertad I saw an ice-cream café and headed there. At the entrance there were several drunken... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Santa Ana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santa Ana and the vulcanoes"
- "Santa Ana"
- "Travel Notes from Santa Ana"
- "Study Spanish and Salsa Dancing in Santa Ana"
- "Santa Ana"
- "Main Square"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Ana
- Hotels in Santa Ana
- Transportation in Santa Ana
- Restaurants in Santa Ana
- Shopping in Santa Ana
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Ana
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Santa Ana
- 17 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Santa Ana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Ana
- Posted in Travel Quito Forum "Re: Transportation options to and..."
- updated a Santa Ana Travel Page "Santa Ana and the vulcanoes"
- Wrote a Review From Santa Ana to Copán Ruínas (Honduras) in Santa Ana Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "From Santa Ana to Copán Ruínas (Honduras)"
- Commented on one of AlexInacio's Santa Ana travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 119 reviews, 537 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 99 reviews, 481 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 20 reviews, 222 photos, 15 travelogues