"Santiago de Los Caballeros de Mérida" Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida by MalenaN
Mérida Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 318 photos
Mérida is a city in the Venezuelan Andes. The city has a beautiful setting in a valley with mountain ranges to the east and west. Mérida is situated at an altitude of 1500 metres which gives the city a more temperate climate. There are no big changes in temperature during the year, but the day temperature is often 20 - 25°C. There are big variations during day and night though and at night temperatures can drop to 15°C. When I visited in the end of June it was mostly okay with a t-shirt during the day, but in the mornings and evenings I wanted to put on a sweater. The rainy season in Mérida is between April - November.
Many tourists come to Mérida to do sports and other outdoor activities. There are great opportunities for hiking, and you can do paragliding, canyoning, rafting, mountain biking and much more. Mérida is also the starting point for tours to Los Nevados and Los Llanos.
Some tourists also come to Mérida to study Spanish at one of the many language schools. There are many Venezuelan students in Mérida too as it is home of the Universidad de Los Andes.
Mérida was founded in 1558 by Captain Juan Rodriguez Suárez who with a group of soldiers had been sent from Pamplona (in Colombia) to explore the region. The problem though was that he didn’t have the authority to found new cities, so he was arrested and sentenced to a cruel death. Rodríguez Suárez managed to escape from prison and fled to Trujillo where he was granted political asylum. Two years later Mérida was founded again, legally this time. But it is the foundation of 1558 that counts!
Los Llanos is a part of Venezuela which consists of vast grass plains. In Venezuela Los Llanos covers 300 000 sq km,... more travel advice
After breakfast men came with the mules and the luggage was prepared and fastened on to the mules. Then we set off.... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Mérida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santiago de Los Caballeros de Mérida"
- "Merida: Contrast of Relaxation and Extreme Sports"
- "Merida -2002"
- "Venezuela's University Town in the Andes"
- "merida and environs"
- "El Techo de Venezuela"
- "La ciudad de los caballeros"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mérida
- Hotels in Mérida
- Transportation in Mérida
- Nightlife in Mérida
- Restaurants in Mérida
- Shopping in Mérida
- Warnings and Dangers in Mérida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mérida
- 23 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (238)
Have you been to Mérida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mérida
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues