"Ambato" Ambato by MalenaN
Ambato Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 105 photos
Ambato is the capital of Tungurahua and it is a city with about 180 000 inhabitants. It is situated at an altitude of 2580m in a valley of the central Andes. With its central location in the country, and along the Pan American Highway it is a major transportation hub. Ambato is also a commercial centre with production of textiles and food. Grains, fruits and flowers are grown at the many farms in the surrounding areas, and Monday is an important market day in Ambato.
Ambato hasn?t got many colonial buildings left as the city has been destroyed by earthquakes several times.
When I visited Ecuador in 2011 I only passed Ambato twice by bus, but when I came back in 2012 I decided to visit Ambato on a daytrip from Latacunga. I visited on a Monday so the quintas, old country homes, in the outskirts of town were closed and so was the Botanical Garden. However some of the museums in the centre were open and so was the cathedral. I also visited two of the big indoor markets.
Ambato is often called Tierra de Los Tres Juanes (Land of the three Juans), after the 19th century writers Juan Montalvo and Juan Leon Mera and the journalist and lawyer Juan Benigno Malo.
Around carnival there is a flower and fruit festival in Ambato.
From the hotel in Riobamba to the bus terminal I took a taxi, and as all taxi journeys within town it was $1 (July... more travel advice
Monday is the main market day in Ambato and even if I didn?t arrive until lunchtime I hoped to see some of the... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Ambato Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ambato - the city of Fruits and Flowers"
- "Great Little City"
- "Except the museum, there is nothing to see here !"
- "Ambato, at the heart of Ecuador"
- "Ambato the land of my grandfather"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambato
- Hotels in Ambato
- Transportation in Ambato
- Nightlife in Ambato
- Restaurants in Ambato
- Shopping in Ambato
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambato
- 9 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Ambato?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambato
Photos in AmbatoSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues