"Ambato" Ambato by MalenaN

Ambato Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 105 photos

Ambato is the capital of Tungurahua and it is a city with about 180 000 inhabitants. It is situated at an altitude of 2580m in a valley of the central Andes. With its central location in the country, and along the Pan American Highway it is a major transportation hub. Ambato is also a commercial centre with production of textiles and food. Grains, fruits and flowers are grown at the many farms in the surrounding areas, and Monday is an important market day in Ambato.

Ambato hasn’t got many colonial buildings left as the city has been destroyed by earthquakes several times.

When I visited Ecuador in 2011 I only passed Ambato twice by bus, but when I came back in 2012 I decided to visit Ambato on a daytrip from Latacunga. I visited on a Monday so the quintas, old country homes, in the outskirts of town were closed and so was the Botanical Garden. However some of the museums in the centre were open and so was the cathedral. I also visited two of the big indoor markets.

Ambato is often called Tierra de Los Tres Juanes (Land of the three Juans), after the 19th century writers Juan Montalvo and Juan Leon Mera and the journalist and lawyer Juan Benigno Malo.

Around carnival there is a flower and fruit festival in Ambato.

• Last visit to Ambato: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Amazing Cathedral! Sounds like there was plenty to see here.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Thank you for visiting Dee! The cathedral is different from cathedrals in other Ecuadorian cities.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Another lovely town that you were able to visit.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Thank you Lori! It was a nice place to visit on a day trip!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Another interesting market, and two good museums would interest me here!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I like the picture of the fruit section in the market best.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

This looks like an interesting destination for a day trip. Too bad the city has been destroyed by earthquakes several times.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

An interesting place! I have never seen the cupola painted in blue - that must have been really beautiful.

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Thank you Sergey! Yes, the cupola was very beautiful with the blue colour.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I'm really hoping to get to Ecuador in the next couple of years, probably won't have as much time as you though!

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Thank you Kristi! Ecuador has so much to offer, Galapagos, the coast, the mountains and Amazonas.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Great look at this town and your time there. How did you break your wrist?

• starship's Profile Photo
      Sep 25, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Really very sorry to hear that! I hope it heals quickly. That must make traveling so much more difficult!!

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

There were many things I couldn't do and I had to ask for help many times, but after some rest I could at least do walks, visit museums and so on. Still I haven't got the same mobility and strength back, but I guess it takes quite long.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Another interesting destination; waiting for the rest of the tips

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Thank you Santi! The tips are coming, I just uploaded all photos from Ambato before I changed computers.

Badges & Stats in Ambato