"Bahía" Bahía de Caráquez by MalenaN
Bahía de Caráquez Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 92 photos
Bahía de Caraquez is a town with about 20 000 inhabitants. It is more often called Bahía rather than the longer Bahía de Caraquez. The town has got a beautiful location on a peninsula, with the Pacific Ocean to the west and the Chone River estuary on the east side.
During the strong El Niño years 1997-98 Bahía and the surrounding country side was severely damaged by floods and landslides. Shortly after that the area was hit by a strong earthquake destroying many houses and leaving residents of Bahía without water and electricity for months. After the catastrophes rebuilding was done with sustainability in mind and Bahía is now an Eco-city. There are many organic farms in the surroundings, there has been reforestation projects, on the peninsula there are bicycle taxis (motos are not allowed), plastic bags have been banned and at the market waste is recycled.
Bahía is a clean and quiet town. At least it was very quiet when I was there, but during high season it gets livelier as the town has become a popular holiday destination for people from Guayaquil and Quito. On the peninsula there are many white high-rise apartment blocks. These are mainly holiday homes, but there are a few hotels too.
After a few days of resting in Bahía it was time for me to travel on. I was a bit worried how it was going to go as I... more travel advice
Museo de Bahía is a good museum with exhibitions on three floors. On the first and second floor there are archaeological... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Bahía de Caráquez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A week in Baiha"
- "Bahia de Caraquez, A Great Destination"
- "An artistic city... Une ville artistique"
- "Beach, sun and sand"
- "LA CIUDAD SIN COPIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bahía de Caráquez
- Hotels in Bahía de Caráquez
- Transportation in Bahía de Caráquez
- Restaurants in Bahía de Caráquez
- Shopping in Bahía de Caráquez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bahía de Caráquez
- 12 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Bahía de Caráquez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bahía de Caráquez
Photos in Bahía de CaráquezSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues