"Baños de Agua Santa" Top 5 Page for this destination Baños by MalenaN

Baños Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 870 photos

Before coming to Baños I thought I would not like the town because it would be too touristy. Yes, there are many tourists in Baños, but there are so many fun things to do and I enjoyed my stay very much. I cycled to Puyo, and did a bridge jump and visited waterfalls along the road, I also went canyoning, rafting, canopying and hiking. What I didn’t do was to visit one of the baths Baños is famous for to swim in the mineral rich water from the hot springs.

Baños itself is not a very pretty town, but the setting is beautiful in a valley surrounded by green mountains. Nearby is Volcán Tungurahua (5023 metres) which is a volcano with recent activity. In 1999 the inhabitants of Baños had to be evacuated , and also in 2006 and 2008 there was activity, but not so much that the people in Baños had to leave the town. When I visited (2011) there was no visible activity, but still the travel agencies in town advertise the night chiva-tours to Bellavista as volcano tours. It must have been a pretty sight though when you could see the orange glow from the volcano at night time. Tungurahua is an active volcano and has had several eruptions recently with ash clouds spreading in the area.

Baños is situated at 1800 metres and the average temperature is 20°C. The population is 18 000.

Update 2013: My first visit to Baños was in 2011. In 2013 I came back but I just stayed for two nights. There was a lot of rain in Baños that time and as I had a cough I felt I couldn't do all activities that I wanted to do.

Update 2014: I only stayed for two nights this time too. I went to the baths, did canyoning, hiked up to Café del Cielo and had a massage and a face treatment. The weather was nice during this visit.

• Last visit to Baños: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2014

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM

Interesting pages, beautiful photos, love to see the activities you take part in :-) Lia

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Thank you Lia! I really love all the fun activities one can do in, and around Baños!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM

This is a fantastic page Malena! I love the way you just do your own things regardless of the mountainous terrain, biking, bungee jumping and exploring various towns and cities - nothing seems to stop you! Great details and photos as well on your accommodations and restaurant tips. This is a first class page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2014 at 3:56 AM

Interesting updates, and such lovely wildflowers in your new Hiking to Cafe del Cielo travelogue!

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Hello Sarah! Still have two new tips to write. I stayed at the lovely Posada del Arte this time and also did canyoning in another river than before.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I'll come back soon then :-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM

What a adventure you had here. The Chiva night tour looks fascinating! I think I would keep my feet on the bridge...lol! Your a brave lady! Excellent page!

May 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Thanks for visiting Dee! There are a lot of fun things to do in Baños!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2013 at 3:31 AM

A really helpful page for anybody wanting to visit here! Love the scenery and all the waterfalls. Your a true adventurer that will take on anything!

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Thank you Dee! Baños is a great place to visit with lovely surroundings and so many fun things to do?

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM

What an exciting tour this must have been - a fantastic page :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Thank you Regina! I really enjoyed all the fun activities there are to do around Baños!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Interesting place. I think I would enjoy, well not the puenteling, my dizziness wouldn't let me even try.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thank you Corra for visiting my Baños page! There are things to do for everyone in and around Baños, and the surroundings are beautiful with green mountains and waterfall.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Great new tips from your 2013 visit!

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Thank you for visiting Don! This year I was unlucky with the weather when I visited Baños. Cold, wet weather and a cough unfortunately prevented me from doing everything that I wanted to do.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Enjoyed reading your new additions to this page. It seems that Ecuador may be your favorite country to visit!

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thank you for visiting Sylvia! There are a lot of fun things to do in Ecuador, and beautiful places to visit.

• Redang's Profile Photo