"Baños de Agua Santa" Top 5 Page for this destination Baños by MalenaN

Baños Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 776 photos

Before coming to Baños I thought I would not like the town because it would be too touristy. Yes, there are many tourists in Baños, but there are so many fun things to do and I enjoyed my stay very much. I cycled to Puyo, and did a bridge jump and visited waterfalls along the road, I also went canyoning, rafting, canopying and hiking. What I didn’t do was to visit one of the baths Baños is famous for to swim in the mineral rich water from the hot springs.

Baños itself is not a very pretty town, but the setting is beautiful in a valley surrounded by green mountains. Nearby is Volcán Tungurahua (5023 metres) which is a volcano with recent activity. In 1999 the inhabitants of Baños had to be evacuated , and also in 2006 and 2008 there was activity, but not so much that the people in Baños had to leave the town. When I visited there was no activity, but still the travel agencies in town advertise the night chiva-tours to Bellavista as volcano tours. It must have been a pretty sight though when you could see the orange glow from the volcano at night time.

Baños is situated at 1800 metres and the average temperature is 20°C. The population is 18 000.

Update 2013: My first visit to Baños was in 2011. In 2013 I came back but I just stayed for two nights. There was a lot of rain in Baños that time and as I had a cough I felt I couldn't do all activities that I wanted to do.

• Last visit to Baños: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 29, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM

What a adventure you had here. The Chiva night tour looks fascinating! I think I would keep my feet on the bridge...lol! Your a brave lady! Excellent page!

May 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Thanks for visiting Dee! There are a lot of fun things to do in Baños!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2013 at 3:31 AM

A really helpful page for anybody wanting to visit here! Love the scenery and all the waterfalls. Your a true adventurer that will take on anything!

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Thank you Dee! Baños is a great place to visit with lovely surroundings and so many fun things to do?

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM

What an exciting tour this must have been - a fantastic page :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Thank you Regina! I really enjoyed all the fun activities there are to do around Baños!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Interesting place. I think I would enjoy, well not the puenteling, my dizziness wouldn't let me even try.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thank you Corra for visiting my Baños page! There are things to do for everyone in and around Baños, and the surroundings are beautiful with green mountains and waterfall.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Great new tips from your 2013 visit!

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Thank you for visiting Don! This year I was unlucky with the weather when I visited Baños. Cold, wet weather and a cough unfortunately prevented me from doing everything that I wanted to do.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Enjoyed reading your new additions to this page. It seems that Ecuador may be your favorite country to visit!

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thank you for visiting Sylvia! There are a lot of fun things to do in Ecuador, and beautiful places to visit.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Bridge jumping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I can't believe I have missed checking out this page until now! I wish we could have come here. I would not want to do a bridge jump (although swinging does sound better than bouncing up and down!) but I would have loved to have seen all those waterfalls, and the canopy tour and chiva tour sound good!

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

You just have to go back one day Sarah! I loved the landscape around Baños and all the fun activites there were to do.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I thought the word came close to another meaning-but looks like a paradise in the valley. The hiking and jumping area appealing

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Malena, you never cease to amaze me. What fun you must have had with all these activities - 61 km bicycle tour, puenting, rafting, canyoning and hiking. WOW!

Badges & Stats in Baños