"Baños de Agua Santa" Top 5 Page for this destination Baños by MalenaN
Baños Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 870 photos
Before coming to Baños I thought I would not like the town because it would be too touristy. Yes, there are many tourists in Baños, but there are so many fun things to do and I enjoyed my stay very much. I cycled to Puyo, and did a bridge jump and visited waterfalls along the road, I also went canyoning, rafting, canopying and hiking. What I didn’t do was to visit one of the baths Baños is famous for to swim in the mineral rich water from the hot springs.
Baños itself is not a very pretty town, but the setting is beautiful in a valley surrounded by green mountains. Nearby is Volcán Tungurahua (5023 metres) which is a volcano with recent activity. In 1999 the inhabitants of Baños had to be evacuated , and also in 2006 and 2008 there was activity, but not so much that the people in Baños had to leave the town. When I visited (2011) there was no visible activity, but still the travel agencies in town advertise the night chiva-tours to Bellavista as volcano tours. It must have been a pretty sight though when you could see the orange glow from the volcano at night time. Tungurahua is an active volcano and has had several eruptions recently with ash clouds spreading in the area.
Baños is situated at 1800 metres and the average temperature is 20°C. The population is 18 000.
Update 2013: My first visit to Baños was in 2011. In 2013 I came back but I just stayed for two nights. There was a lot of rain in Baños that time and as I had a cough I felt I couldn't do all activities that I wanted to do.
Update 2014: I only stayed for two nights this time too. I went to the baths, did canyoning, hiked up to Café del Cielo and had a massage and a face treatment. The weather was nice during this visit.
The canyoning in Río Blanco is done in a narrow, very beautiful canyon. We went rappelling down four waterfalls and then... more travel advice
There are lots of places in Baños offering massage and different spa treatments like steam baths, face treatments,... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Baños Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baños de Agua Santa"
- "Avenida de las Cascadas, and Baños"
- "A Bug in Baños"
- "Baños - A relaxing adventure"
- "Banos: Ecuador's Adventure Capital"
- "Banos adventures"
- "Waterfalls Everywhere"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baños
- Hotels in Baños
- Transportation in Baños
- Nightlife in Baños
- Restaurants in Baños
- Shopping in Baños
- Warnings and Dangers in Baños
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baños
- 39 Reviews
- 327 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (143)
Have you been to Baños?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baños
Photos in BañosSee All Photos (327)
Videos in BañosSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 840 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 72 reviews, 473 photos, 18 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues