"Chugchilán" Chugchilán by MalenaN
Chugchilán Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 201 photos
Chugchilan is a small village high in the Andean mountains, above the Río Tuachi Canyon. Chugchilán is situated at an altitude of 3200 metres and there are some very nice views from the village. It lives about 100 people in Chugchilán. The village has one main street and along that street you will find the church, a basketball court, an Internet place, a restaurant and a few small stores.
Chugchilán is one of the villages along the so called Quilotoa Loop and many tourists arrive here by foot from Quilotoa or Isinliví . Besides very good hiking possibilities in the area you can take a horseback riding tour to the cloud forest of Iliniza Ecological Reserve and visit a cheese factory higher up in the páramo. I have read there is a local market in Chugchilan on Sundays, but as I didn’t visit on a Sunday I can’t say how it is.
There are three places for accommodation in Chugchilán and they have all got good reviews. I stayed at the cheapest place, Hostal Cloud Forest.
I arrived to Chugchilán by foot and also left by foot, but if you want to take a bus to Latacunga from Chugchilán it leaves already at 3am and at 4 am (and later on Sundays). Other options are to take a pick-up truck or the lechero to a place where you can find more buses.
I stayed two nights in Chugchilán in 2011 and two nights in 2012. I hadn’t planned to come back in 2012, but because I broke my wrist while traveling in Ecuador 2012, there was things I had planned to do which I couldn’t do (like climbing Chimborazo). At least I could hike and as I knew the area was beautiful, I knew the way between the villages, accommodation is cheap and I didn’t have to carry too much packing I thought it was a good idea to come back and do some hiking.
In 2012 there were problems with electricity in the area because of strong winds. The electricity came back in the evenings in Chugchilán, but the Internet connection (yes there is one internet place in Chugchilán) didn’t.
My plan for that day had not been to walk to Chugchilán but to walk around the Quilotoa crater. However it was too windy... more travel advice
In 2011 I had followed a description from Llullu Llama and I know I would have found the same way in 2012 without... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Chugchilán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It takes 5 hours to go back in time."
- "Chugchilan, Ecuador"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chugchilán
- Hotels in Chugchilán
- Transportation in Chugchilán
- Restaurants in Chugchilán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chugchilán
- 10 Reviews
- 189 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Chugchilán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chugchilán
- Posted in Travel Barichara Forum "Re: Turismo receptivo..."
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Chugchilán travel pages
- created a Chugchilán Travelogue "Hiking from Chugchilan to Quilotoa, Ecuador"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking from Chugchilan to Quilotoa, Ecuador"
- Wrote a Review The wrong path from Quilotoa to Chugchilán in Chugchilán Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Chugchilán
Photos in ChugchilánSee All Photos (189)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 123 reviews, 555 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 100 reviews, 486 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 20 reviews, 222 photos, 15 travelogues