"Isla Española" Isla Española by MalenaN
Isla Española Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 204 photos
Isla Española is the southernmost island in the archipelago, situated about 90km southeast of Isla Santa Cruz. The island is small, around 61 sq km and it is one of the oldest islands. It was formed around 3.3 million years ago by volcanic activity, but it has since than moved away from the geological hot spot and there is no longer any volcanic activity on Isla Española. Isla Española is also called Hood.
Because of its remote location there are many endemic species and subspecies on Isla Española, like the Hood Mockingbird, the Lava Lizard and the Marin Iguana (which on Española has a red colouring, that becomes more green during breeding season). The population of Giant Tortoises on the island got almost extinct because of introduced goats and hunting. In the 1960s there were only 12 females and 2 males left, but thanks to a restoration program made by the Charles Darwin Research Station, 700 tortoises could be reintroduced on Isla Española in 1995.
There are two visitor sites on Isla Española. One is the long white sandy beach at Gardner Bay where you can see Sea Lions and Marin Iguanas, among other things. The other visitor site is Punta Suárez, a highlight because of its abundant wildlife. At Punta Suarez you can see the Waved Albatrosses and Blue-footed Boobies perform their courtship ritual. Something that is amazing to see! It is the only breeding site for the Waved Albatross and they can be seen around April - November.
Isla Española can now only be visited on cruise tours. I came here on the 4th day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote. We visited Gardner Bay in the morning. After visiting the beach for 2h we snorkelled at a small rocky island off shore. After lunch we navigated to Punta Suárez where we spent 3h walking the trail. Because there were so much to see we could easily have stayed longer, but it was getting dark so we had to return to the boat.
Gardener Bay is situated on the northeast side of Isla Española and here there is a beautiful long white sandy beach and... more travel advice
To visit Punta Suárez on Isla Española was definitely a highlight on the Galapagos cruise with M/S Cachalote, because of... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Española Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Española"
- "Home of the Waved Albatross"
- "ISLA ESPANOLA GALAPAGOS GROUP OF ISLANDS"
- "The Three aspects of Espanola"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Isla Española
- 16 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Isla Española?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Española
Photos in Isla EspañolaSee All Photos (119)
Videos in Isla EspañolaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues