"Isla Genovesa" Isla Genovesa by MalenaN
Isla Genovesa Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 166 photos
Isla Genovesa is situated far to the northeast in the archipelago. It is a long journey and it takes the whole night to go there, about 8h. During this journey the boat crosses the equator. Isla Genovesa is a quite small island, only 14 sq km large. It is round and flat with a maximum elevation of 64m. The island is a shield volcano and when the crater collapsed the big bay, Darwin Bay, on the south side of the bay was formed. It is around 600m wide and surrounded by steep cliffs. It is in Darwin Bay the boats anchor and it is here the two visitor sites are situated. There are no introduced animals on Isla Genovesa.
Isla Genovesa is considered to be one of the highlights in the Galapagos Islands, because here there are big colonies of nesting Red-footed Boobies, Nazca Boobies and Frigatebirds. And it is amazing to see lots of them just next to the trail you are walking along.
We visited Isla Genovesa on the 7th day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote I. In the morning we visited El Barranco and in the afternoon we visited Darwin Bay. I have written separate tips about those two visitor sites and what we saw there.
We had planed to snorkel twice during the day, once on the west side of Darwin Bay and the second time on the south side of the bay. So returning to Cachalote from El Barranco we got changed and went to the panga to go snorkelling. At Isla Genovesa there is a possibility to see Hammerhead Sharks, which was high up on our list of things to see, and this was our last chance to see them. To our disappointment the conditions on the west side were bad so we turned and went to the south side instead. Here the currents were not so strong so we could snorkel, but unfortunately the water was very murky and the visibility was not good. While snorkelling we saw Giant Damselfish, King Angelfish, Moorish Idol , Bonito, a big ray, sea lion and fur seal, but no sharks
When it was time to snorkel in the afternoon we all decided to skip it because the visibility was so bad and we went on a panga tour along the cliffs instead. On the cliffs and in the crevices you can see different species of seabirds and we saw Frigatebirds, juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-herons, Swallow-tailed gulls, Red-billed Tropicbirds and Brown Pelicans. We also saw Marine Iguanas, Sea Lions and Fur Seals. In the water we also saw a turtle and a Manta Ray.
Isla Genovesa is also called Tower.
In the morning after breakfast we took the panga from Cachalote to visit El Barranco, where there is a dry landing at... more travel advice
Nazca Boobies The Nazca Booby (Sula granti) used to be seen as a subspecies of the Masked Booby, but it is now known... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Genovesa Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Isla Genovesa
- 17 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Isla Genovesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Genovesa
- Posted in Travel Guayaquil Forum "Re: Guayaquil to the beach"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Isla Genovesa travel pages
- updated a Isla Genovesa Travelogue "Isla Genovesa"
- Wrote a Review El Barranco (Prince Philip’s Steps) in Isla Genovesa Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "El Barranco (Prince Philip’s Steps)"
Photos in Isla GenovesaSee All Photos (135)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues