"Isla Genovesa" Isla Genovesa by MalenaN

Isla Genovesa Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 166 photos

Isla Genovesa is situated far to the northeast in the archipelago. It is a long journey and it takes the whole night to go there, about 8h. During this journey the boat crosses the equator. Isla Genovesa is a quite small island, only 14 sq km large. It is round and flat with a maximum elevation of 64m. The island is a shield volcano and when the crater collapsed the big bay, Darwin Bay, on the south side of the bay was formed. It is around 600m wide and surrounded by steep cliffs. It is in Darwin Bay the boats anchor and it is here the two visitor sites are situated. There are no introduced animals on Isla Genovesa.

Isla Genovesa is considered to be one of the highlights in the Galapagos Islands, because here there are big colonies of nesting Red-footed Boobies, Nazca Boobies and Frigatebirds. And it is amazing to see lots of them just next to the trail you are walking along.

We visited Isla Genovesa on the 7th day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote I. In the morning we visited El Barranco and in the afternoon we visited Darwin Bay. I have written separate tips about those two visitor sites and what we saw there.

We had planed to snorkel twice during the day, once on the west side of Darwin Bay and the second time on the south side of the bay. So returning to Cachalote from El Barranco we got changed and went to the panga to go snorkelling. At Isla Genovesa there is a possibility to see Hammerhead Sharks, which was high up on our list of things to see, and this was our last chance to see them. To our disappointment the conditions on the west side were bad so we turned and went to the south side instead. Here the currents were not so strong so we could snorkel, but unfortunately the water was very murky and the visibility was not good. While snorkelling we saw Giant Damselfish, King Angelfish, Moorish Idol , Bonito, a big ray, sea lion and fur seal, but no sharks

When it was time to snorkel in the afternoon we all decided to skip it because the visibility was so bad and we went on a panga tour along the cliffs instead. On the cliffs and in the crevices you can see different species of seabirds and we saw Frigatebirds, juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-herons, Swallow-tailed gulls, Red-billed Tropicbirds and Brown Pelicans. We also saw Marine Iguanas, Sea Lions and Fur Seals. In the water we also saw a turtle and a Manta Ray.

Isla Genovesa is also called Tower.

• Last visit to Isla Genovesa: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2012

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM

The more I read your Galapagos pages, the more I want to take my 7 weeks off to Equador. Great pictures and writing about Isla genovesa.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM

There are so many great things to do in Ecuador and you can easily fill seven weeks, and Galapagos Islands are amazing! Thanks for visiting my page Corra!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Outstanding animal photos here.The fascinating birds of Isla Genovesa seem to have a happy life.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Thank you HOlger for visiting my Isla Genovesa page! I just finished another cruise around the Galapagos archipelago today, but this time I went on another itinerary (so no Isla Genovesa).

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Wow Malena, your photos and writings about all the different birds and sea life are fascinating. What a wonderful trip you made.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Galapagos Islands is a fascinating place to visit! And I'm so happy that I will go back this year too (but not to Isla Genovesa though).

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Lots more great tips and photo's!

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Thank you Dee! The bird life on Isla Genovesa was amazing!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM

So many beautiful species of birds! I enjoy your travels! Nice page!

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Thank you Dee! Isla Genovesa is a fantastic place to visit to see birds!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Super bird-watching trip, Malena! But I liked Marine Iguanas best of all. Thank you for sharing!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2012 at 3:14 AM

I love the names of these birds: Masked Boobies, Nazca Boobies, Wedge-rumped Storm-petrels, Yellow-crowned Night-herons, Great Frigatebirds! And you have taken fine pictures of all of them. Isla Genovesa certainly looks like a fascinating place to visit.

Badges & Stats in Isla Genovesa

Have you been to Isla Genovesa?