"A short stop over in Guayaquil" Top 5 Page for this destination Guayaquil by MalenaN

Guayaquil Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 473 photos

Guayaquil is Ecuador’s largest city with 2.3 million inhabitants. It is situated by Río Guayas, near the coast. The city has got the largest port in the county and it is also the commercial and business centre of Ecuador. The climate is hot and humid, with heavy rains falling between January - April. From May - December it doesn’t rain very much, but it is often cloudy and grey.

The last decade Guayaquil has undergone an urban renewal project and has for that won a United Nation award. The oldest part of Guayaquil, Las Peñas, has been restored to an attractive neighbourhood with art galleries and restaurants, and the Malecon has also been renewed into a nice place to take a walk in. There is a new airport and bus terminal, and there is also a new trolleybus system, the Metrovía.

Six times I have landed at Guayaquil’s airport. The first time was after a long flight from Amsterdam. We were not allowed to leave the plane as it soon were going on to Quito. What I remember is that it was very grey outside the window. The second time was on the way from Quito to Galapagos Islands. In Guayaquil we changed planes, but without waiting in the terminal. Also this time I remember Guayaquil was covered with grey clouds. The third time I was coming from Galapagos Islands and were going on to Cuenca. This time I had to wait several hours in Guayaquil and therefore took a taxi to visit Las Peñas and the northern part of Malecon 2000. And of course the sky was grey that day too.

In 2013 I flew to Galapagos again (from Quito). We did not leave the plane, but of course I saw that it was grey outside. However it was sunny (what a surprise) when I flew the opposite direction. Leaving Ecuador I flew with KLM from Quito and before continuing to Europe we landed in Guayaquil (of course it was grey outside) where we spent some time at the airport.

• Last visit to Guayaquil: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 8, 2014

• MarcusM19's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM

The weather in Guayaquil is often grey as you described in your text. In the week we have 4 cloudy and 3 sunny days. If it is sunny temperatures are raising very quickly, so if you visit the city it is easier on a cloudy day. In the last years Guayaquil has changed. It's more modern and safer now.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Love the La Penas neighbourhood, especially the street you walked with all the coloured houses, it looked great!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Nov 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I haven't seen much of Guayaquil, but Las Peñas is considered to be the prettiest neighborhood.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Lovely little page with great photos of Ecuador's largest city.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Thank you Holger! My visit was very short between flights, so I didn't see much of the city.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I never knew there was such a large city in Ecuador. Good that they have done some urban renewal and even installed a new trolleybus system.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Las Peñas looks great, Malena! Picturesque travelogues! Hope when you visit Guayaquil for the fourth time the sky will be blue, haha!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Oh, so you were on Galapagos this year!

Badges & Stats in Guayaquil

Have you been to Guayaquil?

Latest Activity in Guayaquil