"A short stop over in Guayaquil" Top 5 Page for this destination Guayaquil by MalenaN
Guayaquil Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 475 photos
Guayaquil is Ecuador’s largest city with 2.3 million inhabitants. It is situated by Río Guayas, near the coast. The city has got the largest port in the county and it is also the commercial and business centre of Ecuador. The climate is hot and humid, with heavy rains falling between January - April. From May - December it doesn’t rain very much, but it is often cloudy and grey.
The last decade Guayaquil has undergone an urban renewal project and has for that won a United Nation award. The oldest part of Guayaquil, Las Peñas, has been restored to an attractive neighbourhood with art galleries and restaurants, and the Malecon has also been renewed into a nice place to take a walk in. There is a new airport and bus terminal, and there is also a new trolleybus system, the Metrovía.
Six times I have landed at Guayaquil’s airport. The first time was after a long flight from Amsterdam. We were not allowed to leave the plane as it soon were going on to Quito. What I remember is that it was very grey outside the window. The second time was on the way from Quito to Galapagos Islands. In Guayaquil we changed planes, but without waiting in the terminal. Also this time I remember Guayaquil was covered with grey clouds. The third time I was coming from Galapagos Islands and were going on to Cuenca. This time I had to wait several hours in Guayaquil and therefore took a taxi to visit Las Peñas and the northern part of Malecon 2000. And of course the sky was grey that day too.
In 2013 I flew to Galapagos again (from Quito). We did not leave the plane, but of course I saw that it was grey outside. However it was sunny (what a surprise) when I flew the opposite direction. Leaving Ecuador I flew with KLM from Quito and before continuing to Europe we landed in Guayaquil (of course it was grey outside) where we spent some time at the airport.
When flying home from Ecuador (2013) I flew with KLM from Quito. The plane stopped for some time in Guayaquil before... more travel advice
Las Peñas neighbourhood is situated on Cerro Santa Anna. This is where Guayaquil was founded in the middle of the 16th... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Guayaquil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guayaquil - The 'Pearl of the Pacific'"
- "Santiago de Guayaquil - Up River"
- "Looking back to the river"
- "A short stop over in Guayaquil"
- "Welcome to Guayaquil"
- "Only an overnight stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guayaquil
- Hotels in Guayaquil
- Transportation in Guayaquil
- Nightlife in Guayaquil
- Restaurants in Guayaquil
- Shopping in Guayaquil
- Warnings and Dangers in Guayaquil
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guayaquil
- 5 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (143)
Have you been to Guayaquil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guayaquil
- Posted in Travel Bellinzona Forum "Re: Time needed for Castelgrande..."
- Commented on one of MarcusM19's Guayaquil travel pages
- Wrote a Review At the airport (International preboarding area) in Guayaquil Things to Do
- updated a Guayaquil Travel Page "A short stop over in Guayaquil"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Malecon 2000"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 840 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 72 reviews, 473 photos, 18 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues