"Ingapirca" Ingapirca by MalenaN
Ingapirca Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 102 photos
Ruinas de Ingapirca are the best preserved archaeological ruins in Ecuador, but the site is far from being as impressive as many other ruins in the world. It is an interesting place to visit anyway. In Kichwa Ingapirca means something like ”Inca Wall”. The Incas ruled over the area during the 15th century and then built the Temple of the Sun here. But also before the Incas arrived this was an important site for the Cañaris.
Near the ruins is the village/small town of Ingapirca, and on the surrounding hills there are many small farms. Ingapirca is situated about 90km north of Cuenca at an altitude of 3230 metres. The weather can change quickly and did so when I visited. It seemed to be a sunny and warm afternoon, but as I started to take a walk the clouds and fog came in and the great views over the green mountains disappeared.
The admission to Ingapirca archaeological site is $6 (July 2011). In that price a guided tour of the site and entrance... more travel advice
There are several dirt roads you can take around Ingapirca if you want to go for a walk. I took the one continuing above... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Ingapirca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "High mountains, ancient walls and nice llamas"
- "Inca Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ingapirca
- Hotels in Ingapirca
- Transportation in Ingapirca
- Restaurants in Ingapirca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ingapirca
- 9 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (134)
Have you been to Ingapirca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ingapirca
Photos in IngapircaSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 125 reviews, 613 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues