"Isla Isabela" Isla Isabela by MalenaN
Isla Isabela Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 229 photos
Isla Isabela is the largest island in the archipelago. With its 4588 sq km it makes up 58% of the landmass in Galapagos Islands, and it is four times larger than Isla Santa Cruz which is the second largest island. From north to south the island is around 100km long.
Five of Isla Isabela’s six volcanoes are still active, Cerro Azul had its latest eruption in 2008 and Sierra Negra in 2005. The highest volcano is Wolf, which is 1707m high, and thus also the highest point in the Galapagos Islands. Both Wolf and Ecuador lie on the equator.
I hope to come back one day to visit the visitor sites that are only accessible while on a cruise. Many of them are situated on the west side of the island where the Flightless Cormorant can be seen and the largest population of Galapagos Penguins live and where there are whales and dolphins in the sea.
I did a one-week Galapagos cruise with M/S Cachalote and I did the itinerary which did not include Isla Isabela. However, after the cruise I visited Isabela independently, but what I saw then was just a small part of the southeast corner of the island. I stayed in Puerto Villamil which is a small laidback town with only 2000 inhabitants. Puerto Villamil has a beautiful setting by the sea with a long white sandy beach in front of the town. There are plenty of things to see and do around Puerto Villamil and while I was there I made a day tour to Volcan Sierra Negra and Volcan Chico, a tour to the small island Las Tintoreras where you can see White Tipped Reef Sharks and lots of Marine Iguanas, I snorkelled, saw the flamingos in the lagoons in town, visited a tortoise breeding centre, rented a bike to visit Muro de Las Lagrimas and the water lagoons west of Puerto Villamil.
One of the highlights of Galapagos Islands is to see the amazing Marine Iguanas (Amblyrhynchus cristatus). They are... more travel advice
Puerto Villamil is situated on the south-eastern side of Isla Isabela. It is the third largest settlement in the... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Isabela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Isabela"
- "The Three aspects of Isabela"
- "ISABELA ISLAND GALAPAGOS GROUP OF ISLANDS"
- "Isla Isabela"
- "Large diverse island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Isabela
- Hotels in Isla Isabela
- Transportation in Isla Isabela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Isabela
- 27 Reviews
- 180 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Isla Isabela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Isabela
Photos in Isla IsabelaSee All Photos (180)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 48 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues