"Latacunga" Top 5 Page for this destination Latacunga by MalenaN
Latacunga Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 152 photos
Latacunga is situated along the Pan-American Highway, 89km south of Quito. It is a quite large town with about 52 000 inhabitants. As Latacunga is situated at an altitude of 2850m it can be quite cold, especially at night time, and the average temperature is 12°C. Latacunga was founded in 1534 under the name of Asiento de San Vicente Mártir de Latacunga. Since than it has been destroyed several times by earthquakes and eruptions of Volcán Cotopaxi, which is only 25km away. Only between 1698 and 1798 Latacunga was destroyed four times by earthquakes and in 1742, 1768 and 1877 it was destroyed by Cotopaxi. Despite all these natural disasters people of Latacunga has rebuilt their town and in the centre many old buildings has been preserved. Walking around in Latacunga you will come across several plazas and historical buildings, and on clear days you might see Cotopaxi from some locations in the town. The historic centre of Latacunga has been a Cultural Patrimony of Ecuador since 1982.
Many tourists come to Latacunga on their way to or from the Quilotoa area, or to make tours to Cotopaxi and Los Ilinizas, to visit the market in Saquisili or the famous Mama Negra festival in Latacunga. Even if there were many tourists at the hostel where I stayed I didn?t see many tourist while walking around in town. I visited Latacunga both in 2011 and 2012.
I have more information about Cotopaxi and the villages around Quilotoa on their separate pages: Cotopaxi, Isinliví, Sigchos, Chugchilán, Quilotoa, Tigua and Zumbahua.
I walked to the bus terminal and just as I arrived a bus outside the terminal was leaving for Ambato. I hopped on and... more travel advice
The buses from Chugchilán to Latacunga leaves very early in the morning. I can?t remember if it was at 3am or 4am, but... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Latacunga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Latacunga: You Can Taste the Authenticity"
- "What a nice place !!! Que c'est sympa ici !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Latacunga
- Hotels in Latacunga
- Transportation in Latacunga
- Nightlife in Latacunga
- Restaurants in Latacunga
- Shopping in Latacunga
- Warnings and Dangers in Latacunga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Latacunga
- 19 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Latacunga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Latacunga
- Posted in Travel Quito Forum "Re: Bus and taxi at International..."
- updated a Latacunga Travel Page "Latacunga"
- Commented on the Latacunga Transportation travel guide
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Latacunga tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Latacunga"
- Wrote a Review From Latacunga to Ambato, and back in Latacunga Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues